Upgrade research

• chris Witherow

Long time lurker, first post. I currently have an Alumacraft Escape 165 with a 50 yamaha on the back. It is a good size boat for now but I’m starting the process of looking at an upgrade. I don’t fish big lakes, but would like something I could take to Leech, Vermillion, and feel more comfortable. Here is a short list of pros/cons and a few questions.

-Escape gas tank. It feels like I am constantly checking to make sure I have enough gas.
    – Great size for when it is just me or 2 of us. Feels a little cramped with 3.
    – I like the layout. No complaints there.
    – Yamaha runs like a dream.
    – I’m no speed demon, but a little bit more would be nice.

With my garage I am limited to 17.5′ and would ideally like to stick with an 87″ beam. I’ve run a tiller my whole life, but I am open to a WT.

A few questions.
    – Those of you that switched from tiller to WT, how was the learning curve? Any pros/cons are appreciated!

I’ve searched around here and the handful of boats I have looked at that fit my criteria are:
    Alumacraft Voyageur
    Alumacraft Competitor (165 only)
    Lund Pro Guide

Any insight, advice, or comments are welcome!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Never ran a tiller except duck boats so sorry nothing to offer on the curve. I have had WT my whole life. Currently have a 17.5 deep v 96 beam. I would not go back to less boat than that ever, the room it allows is needed when you add the counsel. Go as big as you can fit and afford and don’t look back, they all feel like they get smaller as you go.

Oh and welcome to IDO! toast

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I recommend checking out the G3 V177 Tiller. Wider beam, bigger gas tank, great layout (similar to Voyageur). Rated for a 70HP (don’t quote me).

Boat is 17.5′ and package length is 22′.

After a couple years with an 18′ Lund Explorer tiller, I now run an Alumacraft Summit, similar to the Voyageur. Going from a heavy Explorer to a lighter, more rugged tiller, I considered how I fish and where I fish. I hate carpet in a boat and needed a lighter boat to pull many miles and dump in prairie sloughs and smaller accesses.

As most say, the best way to find out is to sit in them.

shockers
    Rochester

I can’t provide info on non tillers, but I run a 2009 1675 Lund Pro Guide (75 hp) and that seems like it would mostly fit your bill. Good boat. If you do contemplate Pro Guides, I personally would avoid the newer ones. I think in 2020 they really cheapened them and made them lighter build etc. But that’s just me.

I personally haven’t owned them, but have heard some good things about the Alumacraft Competitors.

blackbay
    mn

There’s basically not much of a learning curve IMO. You’ll have to learn how the boat loads best, but that goes with any boat. Console boat Pros: dryer ride, easier for others to drive, visibility is better, more HP. Cons: less maneuverability, less room for gear and people, more expensive.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Love my 175 alumacraft. found this boat 3 years ago and I upgraded from a 165, windshield boat. pretty crazy how much more room you have by adding a foot. took me 2 years to rig it the way I fish but at 17’8 it is perfect for me and my dog. i usually fish by myself and its perfect. i did not want a tiller as there is plenty of room for just myself or another buddy. i like the comfort and fish out the back 90% of the time anyway. if you are a busy body and need to move around all the time from front to back then maybe a tiller is for you? one of the big things i wanted was the wide gunnels. nice to be able to sit on them, rest something, or just set your foot on. helps as a step too for my dog to use while getting on and off the dock.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20200418-092228_Gallery.jpg

2. 20200501_183151-scaled.jpg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I won’t own a non wind shield boat ever again. If you fish in the elements they are a must.

tim hurley

G3 tiller.
    Tiller advatages:
    _FAR better maneverability
    -Stearing control takes up FAR less space
    -One hand stearing and simultaneous speed control.
    A counsel is a more balanced and comfortable ride across the lake.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.