Under:
    Elk River Rods
    Thermacells
    Crown and Squirt

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Overrated:
    Zebra mussels
    Filming fishing shows using guides (IDO)

Underrated:
    Google searching fishing tactic articles and forum posts from way back.

Patience

Tolerance for ignorance

Personal accountability

Old Milwaukee beer

FryDog62

“Underrated is Yo Zuri Hyrid fishing line in 6-12# test. The stuff is thicker and much tougher than the test rating suggests. The 6 fishes like 10 and the 12 fishes like 17.”

X2. Great stuff, least amount of stretch of any non-braided line. Strong, great knots, abrasion resistant and much more manageable than fluorocarbon. Above 12 pound is tougher to manage – but 6 for spinning, 12 for casting is hard to beat. I also use 8 lb as a leader tied to braid when skipping plastics under docks. Tough as nails…

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Over- St. Croix legend rods. Lund Boats and Mercury engines

Under-Costa 580g Lenses, Shimano musky rods, Tunnel-hull jet boats

FryDog62

I agree St. Croix Rods are over-rated… at least their MH and H rods. I fished them for years out of loyalty before really picking up a number of other manufacturers sticks… then I realized how thick, cumbersome and tip heavy SC rods really are – all their models. Good quality equipment, but poorly balanced and fatiguing to fish all day IMO.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Very Underrated – Take a look at Calico Jack Spinning rods. They are high quality rods at a Ugly Stick price.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Speaking of St. Croix…

Underrated (anywhere other than the West Coast) – Dobyns Rods. I sold all my St. Croix and Loomis rods within a year of trying my first used Dobyns bought from the Texas Fishing Forum. Haven’t looked back. Have almost 20 now between my dad and I.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

“Underrated is Yo Zuri Hyrid fishing line in 6-12# test. The stuff is thicker and much tougher than the test rating suggests. The 6 fishes like 10 and the 12 fishes like 17.”

X2. Great stuff, least amount of stretch of any non-braided line. Strong, great knots, abrasion resistant and much more manageable than fluorocarbon. Above 12 pound is tougher to manage – but 6 for spinning, 12 for casting is hard to beat. I also use 8 lb as a leader tied to braid when skipping plastics under docks. Tough as nails…

Give the 4# a try on your walleye ice fishing setups and thank me later. It fishes similarly to 6# P-Line Fluoroclear, which is hugely popular, however, it’s cheaper, tougher, and more abrasion resistant.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Under Rated – The ol’ 5 gallon bucket.

Over Rated – Ice fishing.

Properly Rated – B-Fishn-Tackle.

-J.

Mr. Derek
    NULL

Under Rated – The YETI 5 gallon bucket.

Over Rated – Ice fishing.

Properly Rated – B-Fishn-Tackle.

-J.

I fixed your spelling error. jester

blank

I agree St. Croix Rods are over-rated… at least their MH and H rods. I fished them for years out of loyalty before really picking up a number of other manufacturers sticks… then I realized how thick, cumbersome and tip heavy SC rods really are – all their models. Good quality equipment, but poorly balanced and fatiguing to fish all day IMO.

I think balance of a rod and reel is very underrated. That’s why I won’t buy a rod without feeling it in my hand, or buy a baitcasting reel without getting a palming feel of it on a rod.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Underrated: Daiwa Legalis Spinning reels. One of the smoothest drags I’ve used and only $70. Also underrated the Neko Rig.

Overrated: Just about anything Rapala.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Underrated: Daiwa Legalis Spinning reels. One of the smoothest drags I’ve used and only $70. Also underrated the Neko Rig.

Your new found love is the neko lol

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Your new found love is the neko lol

Maybe….. jester

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Also underrated the Neko Rig.

Good one! Especially with floating ElaZtech plastics, line the Z-Man Finesse T.R.D or half a Z-Man Zinker. Using a half a Yamamoto Senko or Yum Dinger just doesn’t provide the same action because they’re sinking plastics.

ozzyky
    On water

As mentioned I’m all in on thermo cells. Need to set them up to play the wind accordingly to where you are positioned. One night I had 2’in the boat and the next night I didn’t and I paid the price as well as my partner

Timmy

Over rated – all 3 major Midwest manufactures of aluminum walleye boats

Under rated – The west coast welded aluminum boats.

Lou W

Overrated: expensive rods/reels. I built custom rods for a living on lots of different blanks. Just pick the ACTION you like at your price point

Underrated: ethanol free gas, electric bread knives purchased for 2 bucks at the thrift store

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Overrated – This topic
    Underrated – Also, this topic

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Over rated – all 3 major Midwest manufactures of aluminum <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye boats

Ever ride in one? I’ll stuck with the midwest stuff thank you.

Timmy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Timmy wrote:</div>
    Over rated – all 3 major Midwest manufactures of aluminum <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye boats

Ever ride in one? I’ll stuck with the midwest stuff thank you.

Yes. After24 yrs ownership between a 1775 pro-V and an 1850 Tyee, I now own a 200 pro-V Hewescraft. IMO, the difference in overall quality is night and day.

kabefisherman11

Over rated:cabelas.
    Under rated: smokercraft boats.
    Also Kirkland brand vodka.

Viewing 22 posts - 61 through 82 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.