Twins 2019

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>
    Gardy’s problem wasn’t his coaching. It was that idiot with the mustache standing next to him torpedoing the pitching staff.

Anderson was bad but please, there were lots of problems with Gardy’s time with the Twins and the most telling and painful one will always be this:

Jason Tyner, who has a career SLG% of .323, started 36 games as DH under Gardy.

Now back to the 2019 team, they are pretty fun to watch – whole team hits and plays defense really well and pitching is good in spots but that bullpen is super shaky, as expected. I still think they need to make a trade for a 7th/8th inning guy along with Romero to come up and pitch well soon, just need more dependable arms back there.

I liked Jason Tyner! jester In all seriousness though, all Gardy was ever given to work with was Mauer, Morneau, Hunter, and Cuddyer. I’d be interested to see what those teams OBP% were. I bet they were dreadful. Might be why he put Tyner in as a DH every now and then. Couldn’t have Jacque Jones or Torii swinging at sliders in the dirt all the time.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>zooks wrote:</div>

Gardy’s problem wasn’t his coaching. It was that idiot with the mustache standing next to him torpedoing the pitching staff.

Anderson was bad but please, there were lots of problems with Gardy’s time with the Twins and the most telling and painful one will always be this:

Now back to the 2019 team, they are pretty fun to watch – whole team hits and plays defense really well and pitching is good in spots but that bullpen is super shaky, as expected. I still think they need to make a trade for a 7th/8th inning guy along with Romero to come up and pitch well soon, just need more dependable arms back there.

I liked Jason Tyner! jester In all seriousness though, all Gardy was ever given to work with was Mauer, Morneau, Hunter, and Cuddyer. I’d be interested to see what those teams OBP% were. I bet they were dreadful. Might be why he put Tyner in as a DH every now and then. Couldn’t have Jacque Jones or Torii swinging at sliders in the dirt all the time.

Hunter was a VERY solid hitter at CF. Career OPS just under .800 for a full time CF for us is pretty dang good.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>zooks wrote:</div>

Hunter was a VERY solid hitter at CF. Career OPS just under .800 for a full time CF for us is pretty dang good.

There’s that key phrase for us again…….”For Us”

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

No I mean in general, .800 OPS from a CF with good defense is awesome for anyone. I meant he put up a .800 OPS FOR US(and actually close to that the rest of his career).

He started in 1997 right? The number of full-time CFs with 1000+ games played that put up an OPS of .793(Torii’s) or higher for their career consists of EIGHT players total.

I know he won a bunch of Gold gloves, which generally has little to do with defense, but I think he played adequate defensively? A good defending CF with that much offensive production is pretty rare.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Nice win by the offense again last night. Odorizzi actually pitched well but the bullpen tried to give that 7-2 lead back to them. Polanco was on fire last night and Rosario made several plays in the OF that turned the game.

4 straight on the road! Can’t beat that with a stick!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Kohl Stewart vs Verlander tonight. I wish the Twinks luck. coffee

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Well we’ve seen quite a bit of talent from the minor league arms so far this season…… doah

eyeguy507
    SE MN

They could have added Cliff Lee, they could have traded for Verlander but we all know that the Pohlads run this team to make money, not spend it to win. Unless they hit on all their young guys, which is impossible, they will make a run for the central by default based on how bad it will be. It is refreshing to see them sign a guy like Cruz, Schoop, Cron as power bats. They will be buyers at the deadline and should be after a rental ace. I’m not holding my breath……

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The thing I can’t wrap my head around is why they won’t sign Keuchel for a year. Yeah he had a bad year (for his standards) but for the Twins rotation it would’ve been the second best on their rotation last year. He was just higher than Gibson’s era and had the same W/L total as Berrios with a better ERA.

Even if he isn’t his old self he’d still be your #2 on this rotation. Take a flyer on the man. If it doesn’t work out YOU CAN TRADE HIM AT THE DEADLINE FOR SOME PROSPECTS!!!! It’s a win/win. This team is going to have to wake up and realize they don’t have any pitching in the minors.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Can’t remember who it was but I believe one of the Strib writers had a good blog or article about a week ago. He recalled how Falvene had said over the winter that they aren’t going to go out and just spend a bunch of money because they want to wait until they’re in their window and that’s when they’d spend the money.

Well the article basically said the window is open, that they’ve got a good offense and some key pieces, and they’ve got what’s basically a very easily winnable division. Anything can happen in the playoffs and signing a few key players could push them far in the AL or even to the WS. So they maybe in somewhat of a “window” and if they don’t spend the money now, when would they?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Can’t remember who it was but I believe one of the Strib writers had a good blog or article about a week ago. He recalled how Falvene had said over the winter that they aren’t going to go out and just spend a bunch of money because they want to wait until they’re in their window and that’s when they’d spend the money.

Well the article basically said the window is open, that they’ve got a good offense and some key pieces, and they’ve got what’s basically a very easily winnable division. Anything can happen in the playoffs and signing a few key players could push them far in the AL or even to the WS. So they maybe in somewhat of a “window” and if they don’t spend the money now, when would they?

Exactly. It’s still early but they are showing signs of having the best offense this team has had in a decade if not two decades. There’s no good reason not to add pitching. Especially when minor league after minor league arm comes up and fails.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Common on KFAN was saying the Pohlads are set to make about $100 million this year. They could sign Kuechel and Kimbrel to one year deals and still make $60+ million. Meanwhile their other publicly subsidized sports team, MN United, will likely draw more fans than most Twins games. On a related note I won’t be spending any money again this summer at my favorite stadium and a fun to watch team.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Don’t forget the fat kid. He will be off the DL one of these weeks or months.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Dutch what’s with your major dislike of Sano?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Dutch what’s with your major dislike of Sano?

While my hatred is not to the level of Dutchboy’s Sano has majorly hampered this organization which believed he would be the face of the franchise for the last 3 years. All he has done is show up overweight, gotten into legal problems, stayed on the DL for months longer than expected for multiple injuries, and just plain seem like he really doesn’t even want to play baseball.

I understand Dutchboy’s frustration with him. I thought Buxton would make it, I don’t think Sano will.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’m not a fan of people wasting God given talent. It doesn’t matter if it’s a baseball player, Doctor, or ditch digger. Do the best you can do or find something else to do.

Talent & time. People waste to much of both.

Jensen

I’m not a fan of people wasting God given talent. It doesn’t matter if it’s a baseball player, Doctor, or ditch digger. Do the best you can do or find something else to do.

Talent & time. People waste to much of both.

absolutely love this quote. Hopefully Sano comes back and adds another dimension to this team

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Twins should hope the Vikings don’t draft Sano, Pinada & Astudillo for the offensive line. whistling

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Twins first in this crappie division and 6th highest scoring team in MLB. Good start and man are they fun to watch again! I hope the small ball BS era is in the rearview. I would like to see them add a couple power arms at the deadline if they stay competitive.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Man, if we could play the Orioles every weekend we’d be in great shape! A lot of fun story lines to follow so far this year. Is the ball extra juiced this year? LOTTA dongs so far this year, especially for April.

CaptainMusky

Man, if we could play the Orioles every weekend we’d be in great shape! A lot of fun story lines to follow so far this year. Is the ball extra juiced this year? LOTTA dongs so far this year, especially for April.

I saw a stat showing most HRs hit through X number of games in history and 3 teams (Twins, Seattle, ???) are in the top 10 THIS YEAR. So, yeah, looking at that alone it would seem something is up about the ball. But I like it. Typically in the Spring you don’t get so many HRs because denser air because its colder. Just wait until July, people might have to wear helmets walking around stadiums because the balls will be flying out of thin air.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Frozen ropes!

Attachments:
    1. 8dnif9imc7v21.jpg

john_h
    Hastings, MN

Best game of the year for me!!!

I love a well pitched game. Tonight was great…

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Impressive 1-0 win against Verlander and the Astros. I prefer a little scoring, but a great win.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Good win, I don’t mind those games because they’re so intense pitch-for-pitch because the margin for error is so small. One solo shot by Adrianza decided that game and spoiled what was otherwise a stellar start by Verlander.

I saw today that Eduardo Escobar was last week’s NL Player of the Week, which reminded me that the Twins management can still screw this up. A lot of the additions this year are on short contracts that Falvene has liked to “flip” ad the deadline for future assets, but at some point the future needs to arrive. I’m hoping they take the good we have and add some quality arms and…oh I don’t know…try?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I watched the houston feed of the series last week and all the commentators did was cry about how they were all going to have to wear their winter gear when they play in MN. I hope they get swept for being soft little babies. Good start but I’m glad I missed this one. I need some O or I fall asleep!

Viewing 30 posts - 211 through 240 (of 1,430 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.