WI 3rd season bird – and a bonus

• c_hof
    New Richmond, WI

I drew a third season tag this year. I was a little bummed out because I knew three other people were going to hunt the same land during first and second season. Couple that with the facts that I am saving my vacation for the birth of our first child, and I hadn’t been able to scout once this spring, and I wasn’t feeling too optomistic.

Only one of the three hunters to go before me connected, so I had hope that there would still be some good action.

My first sit was on Friday night. I couldn’t get out until 6:30, so my main goal was to find out where they were roosting. I set up in a small island of trees and shrubs toward the end of a field. The majority of the field was to my left, and a small sliver to my right. I was set up to shoot to the left. Just as It was starting to darken, I could hear hens clucking and yelping in the small valley below me. Then I heard one gobble. Shortly after, I heard the birds roost. I thought I knew just where they went. About five minutes after they went to roost, I picked up movement thorugh a hole in the bushes in front of me. Before I could make out what it was, I had a coyote about 12-15 yds to my right. It was too far right to shoot right handed, so I needed to pivot my gun to shoot lefty. In doing so, the yote busted me and took off into the woods. I was only disappointed for about two seconds though, as there was another yote right behind the first. It paused just long enough for me to get the gun up and pull the trigger. I had my first yote! That got the blood pumping!

The next morning, I got out very early to try to sneak in on the roosted birds. However, they were farther east than I thought and when they came down they went the other way. At one point they were within 50-60 yds, but I couldn’t see them. However, it did help me more accurately pinpoint the roosting location. When the snow and freezing rain picked up, with no birds answering, I headed in.

My plan was to head back out late afternoon and try to ambush the birds heading back to roost. I got out at about 5:00 and nothing was responding to calls. After sitting for a few hours, I finally heard a gobble, and close. After a couple more, they started moving away and wouldn’t respond. I waited about another hour and by that time it was starting to get late. I thought I had missed my chance for the evening. Just then, two toms walked in silently from behind me. I had to reposition slightly to shoot and one saw me. He hesitated, and that was all I needed to put him down. Not the most exciting way to end a hunt, but I’m happy with it. It was a nice 24 lb bird with a 10.5″ beard and 7/8″ spurs.

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Nice

todders
    Shoreview, MN

What do you mean? Sounds plenty exciting to me ! Nice job, those silent toms are forest ninjas , thanks for sharing.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Wow, sounds awesome! Also, congrats on the first baby!!

c_hof
    New Richmond, WI

Here is a pic of the yote.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Congrats! Hunted hard and were rewarded, both with a tom and a ‘yote. Thanks for sharing!

Joel

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats on your evening tom and your yote! Great job putting a plan together and making the most out of your opportunity.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.