Turkey Season Preparation

• average-joe
    Hudson, WI

I’ve heard that jigging them off the bottom with a BFT jig head works. (great tactic for saugers) or pitching em to wing dams in the low light conditions but I do believe that the boys that haunt the pool 4 area are just dragging them on long lines with super light jig heads This technique works both up stream and down stream Good Luck

evileye
    Milan Il

Welcome to the site alb Ring worms can be fished in a number of ways, This time of the year just rig them on a precision jighead and vertical jig them, at other times they are a killer bait to pitch to the wing dams or shoreline rip rap, and although I have never tried them on a three way rig ,I’m sure they could be effective under certain conditions, right now the dark colors with the new BFT glow eye jigs are the hot ticket, There really isn’t a wrong way to fish them, they can even be used as a swim bait. Get yourself a good supply of colors and jigs and experiment with them, and you will learn how effective they can be. http://www.bfishntackle.com/ ]

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

All of the above!

I use ring worms for pitching with light jig heads 1/32 – 1/4, vertical with 1/4 – 3/8 heads, (depending on flow) or dragging with/against current.

I have seen some people run them on a 3 way, and it does work, its just not a technique I use.

Jami

KarlDaYooper
    Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Thanks all for the help. I hope to get out this weekend if the water is right. I fish 15,16 and 17 and we are expecting rain all week…..Al

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Me being the walleye expert here….NOT!

Believe it or not, I have used Bfish’s RingWorms with a three way set up. Changing speed and s curves helped until we were on fish. Personally I like this type of fishing the best…if I can’t be anchored.

Dragging is a killer way to use ringys. Jason Halfen has a fantastic artical in the artical forum on how to drag.

For colors, the general rule is “dark colors on dark days and bright colors on bright days”.

One bait that is under used this time of year is the Super Doo vertical jigged. The hardest part of using a SD is once it’s dropped to the bottom, then lifted about 6 inches…it has to be held “completely still” until you count to 15. I think some of the river rats count to 20.

PS keep a good grip on your rod with whatever method you try.

Almost forgot! Early and late in the day…shallow is better…2 to 3 feet at times.

There, I’ve just typed everything I’ve learned about eye fishing in this post.

(that and they make good bait, if it were legal in MN )

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Hopefully by now you’ve gone and paid homage to whatever rubbermaid container, box, or slot you have labeled “turkey gear.” Maybe you’ve put in an old mouth call or two, grimaced past the taste of it, and made a few squawks?

By this time of year, I’m carrying all my calls with in the car, so I can drive and practice on my calling. I usually wait until there’s unwanted guests at home to work on the slates and box calls.

All of my hunting land is locked up, and I continue to scout on a semi-regular basis, though if I had the choice between only now or later, I’d take the 3 days prior to my season every time.

My gun is ready to be patterned, and last years “best” will be tested yet again. My clothing/vest has been inspected, and I know what I need to get new for this year. Tags have been purchased for where I’m planning to hunt, and what maps I need have been rounded up and looked at. I continue to keep my eyes peeled for new turkey ground, as populations keep expanding, and marginal habitat now holds birds when in the not-so-distant past, it did not.

I’m watching the videos, yelling at the pros for teaching young hunters everywhere to over-call. I’m driving backroads way too much, and I’m getting up early in preparation for a month and a half of hard work and little sleep.

So, what do you do to get pumped? What’s your pre-season ritual, and have you done it yet?

Joel

lick

been “practicing” in the truck for a couple weeks now going to pattern the new gun soon as it gets nice out so maybe june doesnt take much to get me fired up just wake up in the morning 9 days till hunt #1

sorgy
    Southwestern PA USA

I won’t be hunting until the Archery season but my preperation has started. I bought my new chair to shoot from in the blind and started shooting sitting down. I still have a few things to work out in my form but the shooting is going better than anticipated
    I made the move to the magnum DB/primos chair. It is made for comfort just like me
    Soon I will be taking the blind out and stripping all of my screens out of it. I plan on doing some serious shooting from the blind and try to get some real life shot senerios set up in order to check out angles and trouble spots to avoid at the moment of truth
    Last year I had the privlege to share a blind with Joel and learned the importance of patience and not overcalling Thanks Joel.
    I may try and head out to check out some areas that I have never hunted and observe/learn some of the travel patterns of the local flocks.

Good Luck to all

Steve

lick

watching this guy in my backyard gets me prepared

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

The way I get pumped for the turkey season is by reading Joel’s articles, watching Sgt. Rocks videos and monitoring this turkey forum!

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

To get around the bad taste of your mouth call, soak them in a cup of mouth wash.
    Makes them minty fresh.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

To get around the bad taste of your mouth call, soak them in a cup of mouth wash.

Makes them minty fresh.

And use the wife’s tooth-brush to scrape off the mold!

Joel

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

i have had my turkey stuff out for about 6 weeks now. gives me plenty of time to call when the SO isnt around.
    for the first time in a few years, i havent bought a new call, other than mouth calls, which i replace every year.
    i did get a couple of new strikers and have been mixing and matching with calls to get the best sound.
    my biggest move preparation wise this year was cutting down on the gear i am going to carry. phased out my old turkey vest for a smaller and lighter turkey belt. toward the end of last season when it began to get pretty warm, i decided i didnt need to be weighed down by carrying every call i owned.
    i have pared down to my 2 favorite pots and 4 strikers (which actually gives me 8 calls), 1 box call and a few other odds and ends.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Just today I left for work early just so I could drive several miles “out of my way” to listen for gobbles! And that is in an area that I’m not even hunting! I need help!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.