Finally Success

• fulvescens

I hunted WI near Riverfalls yesterday. I hunted 12 hours on Wed and 12 hours on Saturday but did not see a tom. A parade of hens came to the decoys all day long both days. Lots of gobbling all around at various times throughout the days. Saturday at 12:30 I moved the blind into the adjacent woods where alot of the hens were coming from and a gobbler had been gobbling in the morning. Saw another hen. Returned Sunday morning at 5:00 am. Turkeys started gobbling about 5:40. I gave a few soft calls. At 6:00 I see a gobbler staring my way from about 125 yds out. I soft call and he gobbles right back and then fans. He stares again I call again and he fans. He then walks down hill away from me and gobbles many times in the next 5 minutes then goes silent. At 6:15 I hear some leaves rustling next to the blind and what I thought was a short squirrel bark. Next thing I know a tom is running to my strutting decoy and he immediately jumps on it knocking it over. He jumps on it again as I grab the bow. he then spreads his wings a little and does a slow stroll aroud the prone decoy. He gives me a perfect quartering away shot and I zip the arrow in under the wing. He flops once gets up and slowly walks away with the arrow sticking out his side. He walks about 10 paces and drops dead. Turns out he had a 10.5 inch beard, weighed 25 lbs and 1.5 inch spurs. My biggest turkey with a bow and my first one with my new Parker bow. I used the new rage expandable broadhead that opens to two inches. This tom came from the opposite direction of the first one I had seen. It was a great morning after hunting hard for two full days!

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Congrats! Sounds like it was well worth the time.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Congrats! Sounds like it was well worth the time.

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Congrats! Did you use the shoot-thru screens on your blind?

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Congrats! Did you use the shoot-thru screens on your blind?

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Congrats!! I go to UWRF and had been looking around for public land to turkey hunt this year but i never got any info. Do you know of any public land around RF?

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Congrats!! I go to UWRF and had been looking around for public land to turkey hunt this year but i never got any info. Do you know of any public land around RF?

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Awesome job and nice story? get any pictures of him? Enter him in the turkey photo contest if you did get pictures!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Awesome job and nice story? get any pictures of him? Enter him in the turkey photo contest if you did get pictures!

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

congrats on the bird ..I start tomorrow morning…Ill be by myself for tuesday and the wife will join for the rest of the season as she got a tag as well…make sure you post pics if you got em…Id love to see em…Jay

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

congrats on the bird ..I start tomorrow morning…Ill be by myself for tuesday and the wife will join for the rest of the season as she got a tag as well…make sure you post pics if you got em…Id love to see em…Jay

coppertop
    Central MN

1, That is a great success story! Funny how somethings happen when you least expect them to, they’re the most memoriable! Congrats!

coppertop
    Central MN

1, That is a great success story! Funny how somethings happen when you least expect them to, they’re the most memoriable! Congrats!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congratulations on a great bow kill! It is awesome when it all comes together!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congratulations on a great bow kill! It is awesome when it all comes together!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.