Choke

• bluefin
    Farmington, MN

I have a Winchester Super X-2 12Ga that I’ll be shooting 3 1/2 shells out of.

Can anyone recommend a good Turkey choke or am I OK just shooting the full choke that came with it.

This will be my first year using this weapon and would like to get full potential out of it.

Thanks

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

MY DAD HAS A 31/2 AND SHOOTS WITH A FULL CHOKE, NO PROBLEMS OUT TO 55 YDS, EXCEPT FOR THE BLACK AND BLUE MARK ON YOUR SHOULDER. GO PATTERN THE GUN WITH THAT CHOKE AND I THINK YOU SHOULD BE FINE, IF NOT THAN GO BUY THE X FULL OR ONE OF THE TURKEY CHOKES OUT THERE.

LAST WEEK OF APRIL, CLUCK,CLUCK,BANG.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

MY DAD HAS A 31/2 AND SHOOTS WITH A FULL CHOKE, NO PROBLEMS OUT TO 55 YDS, EXCEPT FOR THE BLACK AND BLUE MARK ON YOUR SHOULDER. GO PATTERN THE GUN WITH THAT CHOKE AND I THINK YOU SHOULD BE FINE, IF NOT THAN GO BUY THE X FULL OR ONE OF THE TURKEY CHOKES OUT THERE.

LAST WEEK OF APRIL, CLUCK,CLUCK,BANG.

rembrant
    Waterloo,Iowa

I would stay with a full choke…save some $$$! Five years ago i witnessed a guy shoot a turkey (in flight) with a mag 3″ copper-plated turkey load out of a full choked 12 guage…. he mislead the bird and blew a hole in the beast the size of your fist, that was about 25 yards away! So with you shooting 3.5″ shells you’ll have no problem killing a turkey!

rembrant
    Waterloo,Iowa

I would stay with a full choke…save some $$$! Five years ago i witnessed a guy shoot a turkey (in flight) with a mag 3″ copper-plated turkey load out of a full choked 12 guage…. he mislead the bird and blew a hole in the beast the size of your fist, that was about 25 yards away! So with you shooting 3.5″ shells you’ll have no problem killing a turkey!

rembrant
    Waterloo,Iowa

Oh yea one other thing, Make sure the choke is not for steel shot. A full choke in steel is a modified choke for lead!

rembrant
    Waterloo,Iowa

Oh yea one other thing, Make sure the choke is not for steel shot. A full choke in steel is a modified choke for lead!

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

I have a rem turkey extra full. I can chamber up to 3.5 inch shells but after patterning both of them. The 3.5 inch shells didn’t out perform the 3 inch enough to make it worth the extra recoil. I may be losing some nock down out past 35 yards, but for me I would rather have the bird inside of 30 anyways. Like the others said, go out and shoot it and see what works the best. A couple buddies and I usually get together before the season starts and each of us buy a different brand/size of shot, so we all can shoot different loads to see what works best in our gun without spending a fortune on shells. I shoot a 870 express mag. and 3 inch 6 shot patterns the best for me. Winnchester Extended are my favorite. One of my buddies shoots a regular 870 express and number 5 shot patterns the best for him. Its wierd how different similar guns can pattern.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

I have a rem turkey extra full. I can chamber up to 3.5 inch shells but after patterning both of them. The 3.5 inch shells didn’t out perform the 3 inch enough to make it worth the extra recoil. I may be losing some nock down out past 35 yards, but for me I would rather have the bird inside of 30 anyways. Like the others said, go out and shoot it and see what works the best. A couple buddies and I usually get together before the season starts and each of us buy a different brand/size of shot, so we all can shoot different loads to see what works best in our gun without spending a fortune on shells. I shoot a 870 express mag. and 3 inch 6 shot patterns the best for me. Winnchester Extended are my favorite. One of my buddies shoots a regular 870 express and number 5 shot patterns the best for him. Its wierd how different similar guns can pattern.

bluefin
    Farmington, MN

Thanks for the help.

I’ll try my full choke with a variety of shells.

bluefin
    Farmington, MN

Thanks for the help.

I’ll try my full choke with a variety of shells.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.