TUCR walleye rods

• jack conrad

just ordered 2 new TUCR rods from cabelas web site should be here in about aweek

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

You will like them. What did you get?

For walleye I still like my Quick Tip and my Commander. I have a Fusion on the way so we’ll see where that comes into play. I might even give my bullwip a try this winter for walleye.

Ryan Wilson

What did you get?

I already have a Precision Noodle and a Bullwhip. I placed an order a few weeks ago through TUCR for another Precision Noodle. Can’t wait for ice season to hit!

jack conrad

I ordered 2 precision rods.I got one last year,really liked it got some more for son and grandson

Dan Baker

The precision is really the most versatile rod in the line up. Its a great rod. I think it’s really fun to see the Rods for sale at cabelas.

jack conrad

One week from when I ordered the rods they are in my hands and my Cabelas points paid for them

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

Yes the company is now in scheels and cabela’s from what I have heard.

They have really gained popularity since IDO featured them on the show plus they are a great rod. I have the precision noodle, bullwhip and precision.

The noodle is almost too noodle but it is great for in a shack for panfish I like the bullwhip as an all round rod for panfish and it will handle walleye up to a certain point. The precision is a different type of rod since you feel the bite more than see it but that rod is awesome and will handle good size walleye’s.

I think if you had to have just two the bullwhip and precision would cover about all your bases unless you fish a lake that has a lot of trophy or 20+ inch size walleye.

I am ready for ice when it comes!!!

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

So if I mainly ice fish for panfish but occasional walleye would the bullwhip be the best route if buying one rod to add to what I have?

PmB

Just splurge and buy 2. Quick tip & bullwhip.

Dan Baker

So if I mainly ice fish for <em class=”ido-tag-em”>panfish but occasional <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleye would the bullwhip be the best route if buying one rod to add to what I have?

I think the Bullwhip could be used in a pinch for walleye, but it is best suited for panfish. It has more to do with the action of the rod when the lure is attached. A medium sized spoon will bend the bullwhip quite a bit and it may be a challenge to get a good jigging action with it. That said, a bullwhip has plenty of backbone to handle a walley. I think the new Fusion is the best bet for doing double duty.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

thanks. on the just splurge part I definitely gravitate towards minimalist approach and simplicity.
    most of my rods I’ve had for quite some time?

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I like the Bullwhip for all around panfish, but if you want a dedicated walleye rod, I would look at the Precision or Commander. The Bullwhip won’t really handle the bigger baits very well.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

The Quick Tip may work well for you too, its a carbon rod that has a very sensitive tip but works well as a walleye/perch rod. I have done well on a Quick Tip for crappies using 1/16oz spoons

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I like the Bullwhip for all around panfish, but if you want a dedicated walleye rod, I would look at the Precision or Commander. The Bullwhip won’t really handle the bigger baits very well.

Not only the bigger baits but the “hoped for” bigger walleyes that do show up…the Commander is what I use exclusively for walleye fishing. I also have had on more than one occasion a large northern pike take the offering and then I’m glad I had the backbone in that rod.

brueggemanate
    NW Iowa

Power precision vs commander rod. I have the power precision and have heard that the commander rod is preferred by most walleye guys. What would everyone say is the difference in action / lure weight/ presentation. Not trying to hijack the thread but thought it could help.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Power precision vs commander rod. I have the power precision and have heard that the commander rod is preferred by most walleye guys. What would everyone say is the difference in action / lure weight/ presentation. Not trying to hijack the thread but thought it could help.

No, you are not at all hijacking the thread. Good question, I am curious as well on what others might have to offer. I looked up the Precision on the TUCR website and found this…I didn’t know. Also it’s $20 less than the Commander!

“Although, specialized for perch and walleye, the Precision does not lack the backbone to fight a 40” northern pike. The Precision rods have an extremely sensitive tip and make a great finesse walleye rod. In tough fishing situations, we use these rods with light lines and small jigs.” 

PmB

The commander seems to have a faster action and more backbone than the p precision

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I will use the Bull Whip for spoon fishing Crappies, Perch and LM Bass on the back waters of the Mississippi River… But i think it would not be a good rod just for Walleyes… I usually use one of James’s rods when I go walleye fishing…or… my Custom DK48″ from TUC !!!

Dan Baker

The Power Precision has more tip stiffness than the precision, but a similar action. The Commander is a totally different feel. It has a fast tip like the precision and power, but A LOT more backbone. The Commander is more versatile than the Power as it can handle bigger fish. On a side note, I bought a Power last year, and decided to switch to the Commander this year.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.