TUCR Dead stick rod anyone use it for something other then a dead stick?

• gator800r

I added a new Tuned up custom dead stick rod to pair up with the new Okuma 500 baitfeeder reel. I ordered the rod on the internet and was expecting the tip to be a lot softer. Not yet trying the rod through the ice its hard for me to tell how it will perform. I feel like its not going to perform how I expected but that is speculation as of now. My question is if I end up having a lot of drops what void would the TUCR dead stick best fill? Is anybody else’s dead stick rod being used as a dual purpose rod?

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

You can jig with a dead stick rod however you should expect the rod tip to absorb a lot of that motion. At times it will be the ticket, at other times, it tip will work against you if you’re too comfortable with the action from a jigging rod.

I jig with my Thorne Bros Dead stick rod now and then too. Not my preference but can be done.

Walleyeguy34

I would pair it with an I fish pro if you have one of those.

Dan Baker

I have friends who like to jig with their Deadsticks. It will work, but it’s not ideal for it. The Tuned Up Deadstick is not designed to be a soft, noodle tip. Other deadstick rods like the JT Snare are designed to load with the fish not detecting the bite. That is more of a hands-off approach. The TUCR Deadstick is designed to be more of a visual bite indicator. The tip is light enough where the fish won’t feel it when they are nibbling on the bait. You will see the rod tip jiggle when this is happening. You then pick up the rod and set the hook. It’s more of a hands-on approach.
    Dan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.