True Fuel Question

• disco bobber

I got some 40:1 True Fuel. How much color is that supposed to have? Mine seems to be close to colorless. After 15 or so holes my auger is sounding bad. Seizing up?

Iowaboy1

hopefully you have some gas left in the can so it can analyzed in case it was shipped without or not enough oil in it.
    that way you might have a chance of getting them to pay for a new auger if it is seizing up.

Sam
    St.Francis

You sure you didn’t need 50:1

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

50-1 is leaner than 40-1. Running richer oil would have no ill effects on an engine of this caliber.

I can not speak to the tint, but good luck.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

40 green, 50 red. You can most definitely smell the oil.

Attachments:
    1. true-fuel.jpg

disco bobber

I will have to go take a look after work.

hop307
    Northern Todd County

I run this stuff in my auger and never had a problem. My auger seems to run a heck of alot better with it too.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I run this stuff in my auger and never had a problem. My auger seems to run a heck of alot better with it too.

X2. Lawnmower and Snowblower also. Good stuff…

CaptainMusky

I was a bit taken aback by the “lack” of color to it as well. I have run it the last 2 seasons and it hasn’t seized up yet! -) Also use it in my weed trimmer and chainsaw.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Which one are you guys with older Tecumsehs using? I have been running up to 80:1 with Amsoil but I have no idea what kind of oil they use. I bought TF 50:1 to try but started wondering about it. Especially since the owners manual states 24:1.

CaptainMusky

Suzuki, I don’t have a Tecumseh powerhead, but I will tell you I have always run my mixture as close to what the factory recommends as possible. I know guys have ran 80:1 when switching to something like amsoil, but I have always run the standard. I haven’t changed this thinking since using Trufuel. My solo calls for 40:1, as does my Stihl chainsaw. Not sure what the weed wacker calls for but it gets what I put in it. -) which is 40:1.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Fair answer. Now I may go back to mixing my own.

ozzyky
    On water

I bought a striker master lazer pro at beginning of season. I’ve been running tf 40:1 all season auger is performing great. I do agree there isn’t much tint to it. Ran it in my old jiffy before and no complaints either. I now run it in all my 2 stroke stuff. Does it cost more? Yes. Can I mix oil? Sure. But I love the convenience and how well it performs.

404 ERROR
    MN

I finally decided to switch to True Fuel 50:1 in my Tanaka after not using as much gas since I started using a drill early season. I had mixed up a bit of the usual Amsoil Sabre 80:1 before I decided to switch, so I ran that until it was gone and switched over. It immediately struggled to idle and would bog down after drilling a hole and I would need to feather the throttle to keep it going. I know it wasn’t a motor issue since I dumped it out and went back to Amsoil and it was fine.

I may be the only person in the world who has not had success with True Fuel…

Iowaboy1

I finally decided to switch to True Fuel 50:1 in my Tanaka after not using as much gas since I started using a drill early season. I had mixed up a bit of the usual Amsoil Sabre 80:1 before I decided to switch, so I ran that until it was gone and switched over. It immediately struggled to idle and would bog down after drilling a hole and I would need to feather the throttle to keep it going. I know it wasn’t a motor issue since I dumped it out and went back to Amsoil and it was fine.

I have seen this before and what is usually going on is that the motor is running lean with the 40:1 mixes as more oil is taking the place of gasoline so it will bog down and run crappy until you re-adjust the carb to compensate for the difference in oil amounts.

this could be the OP’s problem as well and I should have mentioned it earlier but I was assuming he knew what a seizing motor sounded like.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

And I must be the only person in the world who’s never seen the need for it. Fill gas can. Add oil. Done.

Grouse

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Merican Eagle wrote:</div>

And I must be the only person in the world who’s never seen the need for it. Fill gas can. Add oil. Done.

Grouse

Buy can of TF. Done.

basseyes

Grouse

Spoken like someone who wants to know without question what’s going into their motors and has probably trusted the word of someone else that wasn’t completely accurate.

I’ll mix my own too. Not a chance I’d trust that stuff. If it works for you, great. I’ll stick with my 80:1 A-oil. Use to think it was a scam. But after running it in a lot of different small two strokes, it has way less odor, start up and idle are A plus after using it over an extended period of time.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>

Grouse

Buy can of TF. Done.

True dat’! I like the convenience of it and trust it for my small engines as they have never run so good. either way is fine but when I mix my own I hate that it ends up sitting around after the season is over. I have never had True Fuel get old on me. Besides I use maybe 5-6 cans a year so why not!

Bass_attack

So trufuel on amazon is 36 bucks for 6 cans of 32 ounce 50:1. 32×6 is 192 ounces to gallons that is 1.5 gallons. Who on earth pays 36 bucks for a gallon and a half of gasoline. Conveniant or not you can get non oxy for $3 and some change a gallon put some amsoil or bel ray in there plus some stabil or star tron and go and save a good deal of money. Fill up the auger, fourwheeler and snowmobile at the non oxy pump for the price of a gallon and a half of the trufuel. Some one explain.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

So trufuel on amazon is 36 bucks for 6 cans of 32 ounce 50:1. 32×6 is 192 ounces to gallons that is 1.5 gallons. Who on earth pays 36 bucks for a gallon and a half of gasoline. Conveniant or not you can get non oxy for $3 and some change a gallon put some amsoil or bel ray in there plus some stabil or star tron and go and save a good deal of money. Fill up the auger, fourwheeler and snowmobile at the non oxy pump for the price of a gallon and a half of the trufuel. Some one explain.

Talking about augers and a lawn mowers not snowmobiles and cars…

basseyes

I can’t explain that. If it was apples to apples I could understand it, but that’s a mountain of money over a short period of time for me. That makes A-oil seem the cheaper, more cost effective alternative, never thought I’d say that?

It makes sense I guess if you don’t use a lot of fuel, but I’m rotating through nonoxy constantly and have easy access to it at 3 local stations that roll through the stuff quick. If a guy doesn’t want to deal with the hassle, doesn’t have easy access to non oxy and has the cash, to each their own. I’ve never used it, so maybe it’s worth that per gallon?

Bass_attack

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bass_attack wrote:</div>

Talking about augers and a lawn mowers not snowmobiles and cars…

Read it again. What im getting at is for the price of trufuel you can get quite a bit of non oxy. What ever floats your boat.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bass_attack wrote:</div>

I can’t explain that. If it was apples to apples I could understand it, but that’s a mountain of money over a short period of time for me. That makes A-oil seem the cheaper, more cost effective alternative, never thought I’d say that?

It makes sense I guess if you don’t use a lot of fuel, but I’m rotating through nonoxy constantly and have easy access to it at 3 local stations that roll through the stuff quick. If a guy doesn’t want to deal with the hassle, doesn’t have easy access to non oxy and has the cash, to each their own. I’ve never used it, so maybe it’s worth that per gallon?

I run through non oxy pretty quick also. Maybe if you only use it in an auger it would make sense.

CaptainMusky

Many people don’t have access to non oxy fuel near them. I have 1 gas station within 10 miles of where I live. Compared to the 15 gas stations in that radius, that’s not a good percentage. Then, the only place that has it sells so little of it that I know for sure it isn’t fresh. I hate mixing gas, the cans leak and I have to add stabilizer. Stabil sucks. Might as well put nothing in it.
    The metal tru fuel cans can bounce around in the trunk of a snowmobile or back of a pickup and don’t leak. I don’t have to mix it. Those conveniences are worth something to me. I go through maybe 3 gallons of mixed fuel a year. I’m not worried about spending more. There is a price for convenience.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Bass Attack…Relax! You are making my point. Auger and lawn mower the price/gal of TF makes sense for the convenience of it. Anything more than that use the non-oxy. This isn’t a ‘raise the hair on the back of your neck’ subject. Geez…

Bass_attack

Bass Attack…Relax! You are making my point. Auger and lawn mower the price/gal of TF makes sense for the convenience of it. Anything more than that use the non-oxy. This isn’t a ‘raise the hair on the back of your neck’ subject. Geez…

Haha ok I wasnt heated Suppose it could be interpreted that way. Alright I guess we are all on the same page. toast

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

How long is the shelf life on trufuel? Non oxy gas doesn’t get old as fast as ethanol gas so I am not sure why you have to add stabil.

I am with you Bass attack, I will pay for convenience, but certainly not 4-6 times the price. doah

Mr. Derek
    NULL

How long is the shelf life on trufuel? Non oxy gas doesn’t get old as fast as ethanol gas so I am not sure why you have to add stabil.

I am with you Bass attack, I will pay for convenience, but certainly not 4-6 times the price. doah

I would never pay that much for convenience. (Takes sip from $1.89 coffee)

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I typically mix the 50 with Red Bull and serve it over ice! rotflol

Attachments:
    1. True-fuel-specs.jpg

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sticker wrote:</div>

I would never pay that much for convenience. (Takes sip from $1.89 coffee)

Love the coffee line! Puts all this gobbly-goo talk into perspective! I copied this off the TF site. Take it for what it’s worth…

its unique formula and stabilizers ensure that it stays fresh for more than 2 years after opening and more than 5 years unopened.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.