Trophy crappie in MN metro

• Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Bearcat is pretty good at photoshop jester i have noticed if you are catching bass you are normally in the right area in winter anyway.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Bearcat is pretty good at photoshop jester i have noticed if you are catching bass you are normally in the right area in winter anyway.

I’m so bad at anything techy, I’d hate to admit how long it took to figure out how to make that red circle. I also take the very worst fish pics imaginable

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

The last couple of springs I have gone to Truman Reservoir for the crappie.Com spring camp. Wanting a shot at a true 3+lber until you see what a good 2-21/2 lb looks like you will understand using bigger baits. The best I have caught was a 2.45lb I could almost stick my fist in its mouth.

Isaiah Church

From the research I’ve done it seems the backwaters have the most potential for a crappie the size I would like 15+ inches, any specific pins on where I should go? this is what I have so far for backwaters.

Backwaters between Wabasha and Nelson.

Bayport.

Backwaters Behind treasure island.

Winona backwaters.

Hastings backwaters.

Bay point marina red wing.

The Red Wing area.

the Lake City area.

the Wabasha area.

Are these good? Please leave backwater area suggestions for big crappie. Thank you!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Go fish them and then tell us. It’s pretty hard to ask for some one exact spot to catch big crappies. I don’t usually see many giving there own spits away especially for that caliber fish. I wouldn’t even do that for my buddies unless they are with me

BrianF

I wouldn’t even do that for my buddies unless they are with me

Heck, I don’t take or tell my buddies anything about my best big crappie spots. My son and I have sworn an oath of secrecy we’ve kept for 15 years!

Deuces

Cmon guys, he needs a big fish for likes on his instagram so he can get with other bigger dudes in the instagram to get sponsors and free gear and all kinds of hot fishing chicks

Ask for general areas on a forum, that’s fine, I like to put in my own work but no issue taking shortcuts.

But go and ask for actual pins, that’s just douchey.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

all kinds of hot fishing chicks

I may have chosen the wrong career path doah

CaptainMusky

But go and ask for actual pins, that’s just douchey.

No chance I would give out exact spots for anything. I will give someone ideas to try, but not an actual location. That is how spots get cooked.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1430.jpeg

tim hurley

Go fish them and then tell us. It’s pretty hard to ask for some one exact spot to catch big crappies. I don’t usually see many giving there own spits away especially for that caliber fish. I wouldn’t even do that for my buddies unless they are with me

Wow and you gave me a spot W/BIG gills, harder to find and more sought after than Crappies. Hmmm. Good luck Isaiah, you might do better in open water when you can search quickly, lots of great spots that you have found already.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I’ll intentionally tell people the wrong lake names just to mess with them mrgreen

I fish the river a lot and any pictures I may post are taken in a spot totally different then where we actually caught it. I am pretty sure most of the guides do the same thing.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Wow and you gave me a spot W/BIG gills, harder to find and more sought after than Crappies. Hmmm. Good luck Isaiah, you might do better in open water when you can search quickly, lots of great spots that you have found already.

You asked for help getting on fish for the family. So I helped.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Help?
    PM sent

Sorry I gave you a spot I guess ? Not sure what your trying to say.

Wildlifeguy

All I’ll add is that if you DO start exploring the backwaters, especially this year, be damn sure you go with someone familiar with wherever you are going. That ice, especially the closer to the river proper you get can be real sketchy.

JEREMY
    BP

Straight out from the landing.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Crappie chronicles have been on large crappies this winter in the metro or real close. All happening over the last couple weeks. Might not be fishable now.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Crappie chronicles have been on large crappies this winter in the metro or real close. All happening over the last couple weeks. Might not be fishable now.

which lake?

they said they don’t go to the north metro very often and like to fish close to home. so it was somewhere in the north metro is my guess

PmB

Are there many whites in the n metro?

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Are there many whites in the n metro?

No.

Generally you need a lake with river influence of some kind to have white crappies.

Wildlifeguy

I know a lake with whites, but is an hour N still considered N Metro?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I know a lake with whites, but is an hour N still considered N Metro?

I wouldn’t think so. Otherwise we are always on good n metro crappies. And I don’t think that’s what they are considered. There are a few lakes that have them, but as grubson pointed out they are all some how related to a river system

Nodakk

Crappie chronicles considers “the metro” as 60 miles from Minneapolis/St Paul. I think that’s a pretty generous range

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think that’s a pretty generous range

That would put St Cloud in the “metro.”

Clearly not very accurate from a geographical stand point. I’d cut it in half to 30 miles. Or less.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

Agreed 60 mile radius of Minneapolis is a large area

Attachments:
    1. radius.jpg

Hoyt4
    NULL

I believe less then 60 miles away from the metro. They started on backwaters and ended up zeroing in on a lake west with some very nice fish.

OG Net_Man

The metro is considered 7 county metro area but I guess anyone can create their definition of some thing.

However, it is quite hard to have a conversation about the metro area if people are not on the same page.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.