Trolling With or Without Boards

• Bartman

Interested to hear how beneficial boards are when trolling for musky. Any difference in the number of hookups? Seems like it would be difficult to handle a fish if you are alone in the boat and had to remove a board….

HMoshier

I run with them and without them. In OH I can only use two rods when solo. Everything solo is harder. Unless I’m running open water, I usually only use one board on the side closest to shore so I can keep the boat out a ways. The other side is usually a down rod with/without a short line. On very steep banks I’ll run both on one side. The board keeps them separated.

On the board I’ll put a small Stay-Loc snap in the rear position that hangs up on the leader swivel when the front clip is released. That way I don’t need to worry about the board getting away from me and I only have one clip to release.

It’s not for everyone but it seems to work for me.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

I used to row and used boards, one each side. I also fished quite a bit at night. Always rowed with the wind, so if I needed to quit rowing the boat would drift with the wind and keep everything tight. I put reflective tape on the flags, would set the hook to release the board and after the catching was done, I’d go back with the spot light and retrieve the board. Never lost one and caught a number of nice fish.

Mark

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.