Trolling setup – planning for a “break off”

• sipple31
    West Central Sconni

I’ve been trolling nearby lakes more and more and it’s been productive… but these lakes are full of timber. It doesn’t matter if I am running cranks or spinners, getting hung up is inevitable. On Sunday I broke off line on a board and had to pull everything in and go retrieve it. I also had an inside rod snap the line right at the reel. redface
    Sometimes if just one hook is in it might straighten out… I guess that’s the best case scenario.

So if I am running 10 pound Trilene XT does anyone have a recommendation for a specific snap swivel or something that would give way before the line?

R Petersen

That would be called a…………..Piece or weaker leader. Snags ARE GREAT places for bigger fish to wait for food.

I have replaced ALL STRONG stiff treble hooks. With a single thin wire hook that bends easily. I angle the hook so it is always pointing upward. It helps a lot on reducing snags. Most of my fish are hooked on the single tail hook.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I’m assuming it doesn’t make sense to stop and try to get it out?

A swivel and a 2’ leader of 8 or 6 pound XT should do the trick. You lose a crankbait, snap, and 2’ of line each time.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I snag and turn around get it out and troll over it again

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

A swivel and a 2’ leader of 8 or 6 pound XT should do the trick. You lose a crankbait, snap, and 2’ of line each time.

That’s kind-of along the lines of what I was thinking. Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.