Trolling motor plug overheating???

• jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

I took my boat out for the first time after installing a new i-pilot and everything worked great. When I was done I unplugged the trolling motor the plug was extremely hot and the prongs on the plug actually burned my hand. I can’t imagine the i-pilot would have anything to do with it. Maybe just a coincidence it was the first time I had it out after installing it. Does anyone have any ideas?

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Do you have a circuit breaker installed?

jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

I do and now that you mention it I just replaced it about a month ago. If it is faulty would that cause the overheating.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

High resistance causes heating. You have a poor connection for some reason. Corrosion, loose wire, wire gauge too small.

Iowaboy1

I would almost bet on an improper wire size issue,although a bad connection issue will cause this,especially a bad ground. the reason I mention wire size is if the ipilot is running continuously,the wire may not be able to handle the lengthy load time

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Ron nailed it. Before you do anything else check every wire connection (including those inside the plug) to make sure they are all clean and tight.

mcrew
    zumbrota,mn

I had the same problem last year it was a bad spot in the wire between the motor and plug cut out the bad spot spiced it back together problem solved

Ron
    Victoria, mn

High resistance causes heating. You have a poor connection for some reason. Corrosion, loose wire, wire gauge too small.

Yeah, I left out a bad splice or wire fraying from constant flexing.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I had an inexpensive plug actually melt. Upgrade all the wire to my batteries to a heavier gauge bought a high quality plug and in never heated again.

Mwal

jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

Thanks guys, I will check all the connections and go from there.

Dale Rueber
    Red Wing, MN

I went through a couple of the plugs that are pin/socket. Bought a better quality twist lock and have not had a problem.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.