Tried something for the first time today

• big_g
    Isle, MN

Hi Brandon ! wave

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Add me to the list of stripped oil plug.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

If you want a stripped oil plug or wheel stud take it to a Walmart Auto Center. They have it down to a science and then blame wherever you had work done last time. bawling

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

This reminds me I need to pick up a torque wrench. doah

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I got this:
    John Force is a top fuel drag racing legend. He’s sponsored by castrol.
    I also take my pickup to the dealership. I got two years free oil changes. Only costed about 40 grand. LOL.

First post for me also. I have come over from the dark side as well. Howdy ‘y’all peace

Welcome Drifter… wave Sure took you and Woodshed (and others) long enough to find us! There were some already here before I joined, haven’t figured them all out yet as names have been changed to protect the innocent. lol I’m sure there will be more!
    John Force..yes, even his daughter got into the act. Racing and (posing)!! I know they appeared at BIR a number of times.

Attachments:
    1. z1-John-Force-md.jpg

2. BForce_dc1f11d649.jpg

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I pay to have mine done but it’s by my mechanic I’ve been using for 27 years. You couldn’t pay me to use a “quickie” shop, you know, the kind that says while we were doing your oil we noticed… what a scam.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

I actually can’t even imagine changing my own oil anymore. I learned from my dad too, and did it myself for a short time. But that was before kids, and sports, and work travel, etc, etc, etc. I have a shop that I know and trust and always take my vehicles there. 45 minutes and $25 later I’m all done with tires rotated too. And no old oil to worry about disposing of, ever.

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

I actually can’t even imagine changing my own oil anymore. I learned from my dad too, and did it myself for a short time. But that was before kids, and sports, and work travel, etc, etc, etc. I have a shop that I know and trust and always take my vehicles there. 45 minutes and $25 later I’m all done with tires rotated too. And no old oil to worry about disposing of, ever.

I’m with you on that toast I take both my vehicles to the same shop I’ve been going to for years now. At the same visit as the oil change I get tires rotated and a car wash. Done and done waytogo

big_g
    Isle, MN

So people are saying if their mechanic said, “while changing your oil, I noticed your water pump leaking” that means it is true, but if another place does, it is a scam ? Or does your mechanic not mention such things and lets you find out the hard way ? Confused… ???

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

If my mechanic finds something during an oil change, he’ll show me, and I’ll either approve the work before he does it, or let it ride. My choice.
    I’m relatively handy, but I’m not a mechanic, so I have to trust a professional. Just like going to the doctor.

big_g
    Isle, MN

That is how it works at most places… even the “quickie” places… they will show you what they are seeing.

tim hurley

I like that the oil change places are also looking for mechanical problems, I will then take the car to the mechanic I trust and half the time he says the problem can wait or does not exist at all. My last car I sold running great with 300k.

big_g
    Isle, MN

We had a car in for an oil change, the people bought the car from us and show up about twice a year, because they are “in the area”. EXPRESS LANE gave them the inspection, noting a loose tie rod end… they declined any service, saying they would take it to their “regular” mechanic in Hutchinson. 2 days later the husband calls me and proceeds to chew me out, that his regular mechanic said, there was nothing wrong with his tie rod end, normal wear and safe to drive. I assured him it was definitely loose, or we would not recommend it. About a week later, his wife calls and proceeds to chew me out, that her tie rod end broke and could have killed her… I told her that is why we recommended replacing it 2 weeks ago, but her husbands “regular mechanic” said there was nothing wrong with it. She called her husband to the phone and he asked me how soon we could get to it, if he had it towed in from Hutch… I said as soon as it gets here. smirk

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

I change my own always. I had a girlfriend back in the day that brought her mustang in for a oil change and they put the oil plug back in loose and it came out, blew up the engine. Its garage time for me so that means its beer time!

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.