skrat trapping

• jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

Got into rat trapping this year. Having no traps, I got online and found some plans for some colony traps. Made up a dozen 6x6x24 colonies out of rabbit cage wire. I have learned alot about runs this season, which ones are fresh, how many rats a fresh run will produce, and where to place colonies in the lake for blind catches. Ended up catching about a hundred in a week.

I feel Im missing out on the mound trapping and would like to get a bunch of foot-holds for next year. There was a buddy of mine trapping the mounds on the lake and getting 60+ per day. What size foot-holds do you use for rats? Is there a good place to find used trapping gear.

If anyone comes across a bunch of 110’s also, please let me know.

TeamBurbot

Well since your from albert lea and we have ton of coon running the same areas as rats the 1.5 size traps is what I use, you also might want to add some 110 size conibears if you are trapping mounds, those are great for trapping runs, now for buying used traps, there is a small trapping store just north of lyle on 218 he is great and can help you alot,( he taught me alot when i first started trapping) his name is Lauren Spinler and there is cumberlands in owatona that are also very nice. on my traps I rig them up with about 3 feet of chain for coon. But that’s just how I like it. Good luck

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

what is the pros and cons of longsprings vs coils?

TeamBurbot

I like 1.5 coils because they are compact and easy to bed in pockets, they are also a bit easier to set I deeper water while standing I think, but I do have a number of #11you double jaw long springs and I like them also but I only run those on my drowning sets. Both types of traps hold animals extremly well, the coils do have a bigger catch area which is a plus for me. But it really comes down to a personal preferance.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.