Up coming posts

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

well, trapping season will be here again before I know it. Curious if there is any specific information that anyone wants illustrations or help on? Figured a can take a few pics and write up some info to post as I am prepping equipment and modifying traps. Let me know where to concentrate any time…

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Is all of it too much??

Whatever you can provide is much appreciated Randy. I love the tradition of trapping and living vicariously through you guys here is so much fun. I get to help my buddy each fall while we are archery hunting. The anticipation checking traps is much like walking up to see if a bear crib has been hit. Gotta love that Xmas morning feeling!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Is all of it too much??

Kooty, please define “it” It could be what I know, which isn’t enough or all that one could possibly learn in a lifetime….which hopefully I’m a long ways from the far end of the lifeline

Seriously though, I’ll be dropping a few updates as I can on the season. But if anyone is looking for specific information, its easier for me to snap some shots and write about it as it current in my mind.

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Put some stuff up as you go , I don’t trap at all but like to see how you guys do it and even the field/water shots are cool

todders
    Shoreview, MN

My brother and I have been trying to set some traps for yotes the past year on sat mornings and pulling them after dark on Sunday’s with zero success . Some pictures, baits and areas you chose to set traps would help a ton. It is just awesome we have a community like this that can find the same amount of enjoyment in helping and sharing with others as they can just doing what they love! thank you.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

My buddy in SD does a lot of snare traps for yotes. We drive section lines watching for trails in the grass. Set them up right in the barb wire fence rows. I’m sure Randy will provide a lot more info than I ever could, but according to to my buddy, scent free is a must for the dogs.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

… scent free is a must for the dogs.

Anyone that hunts whitetails is doing childs’ play compared to coyotes. I have the coyotes knocked down pretty hard around here this year. Won’t be too focused on them….other than a few nights out calling and a little BOOM!

“It is just awesome we have a community like this that can find the same amount of enjoyment in helping and sharing with others as they can just doing what they love! thank you.”

That is truely what life is about. Learned a long time ago that success isn’t what you do by yourself, its the memories created that you can share with others that really count.

muskybones

I would not mind getting some information on coon sets/ yotes sets. Also how to get all the fat off the hide if u can do that?

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I would love a “hide care” post. What do you do after you skin the animal to prepare for sale.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Good ideas! Keep them coming. I would like to see more activity here on sharing tips, ideas, and experiences with trapping. Since I’m here in WI, I don’t get to see or use the same things that others do in other states. But I figured if I could kick off the season with some “step-by-step” photos/articles, others will join in and contribute more.

Here’s to a great season and keep the ideas coming in

vsa

hey Randy have you done any weasels trapping? My boys and i did some last winter and had a blasted doing it. Just want to know if you had any tip’s for us?

Thanks
    vsa

huntalot60
    wisconsin

i haven’t trapper in 22 yrs. just got the inch again the other day. Order tags for my trap. it’s been 15 years since i seen my traps there where buried in the shed that i clean out when my mom sold the farm. little rusty but they should work yet( that both of us traps and trapper ). so any info will be great. getting license and regulations today. going to do some studying. all the laws have change so i better know them. Good Luck everyone and have a safe season.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya Randy its been years too since I trapped, every year I get the itch to go for atleast coon and muskrats but it seems like theres other things going. I’d like to see some of your skins if you dry some of them. A few photos of them hanging side by side would be nice just to get the perspective of some nice skins hanging and drying. Have you heard anything about prices or is it too early yet, still alot left over from last year?, any insight on what countries are going to be buying.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.