1900’s Stop Thief Trap

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Just thought this may be of interest to some. I received this trap when I got all my uncle’s trapping equipment after his passing.

Manufactured by American Trap Co. 1900 through 1908. This one will be dyed in logwood and waxed for the last time and retired to a display case in my den.

JacobNohner

Great find, it will be good conversation piece on the wall

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Imagine what that trap has been through and caught over the years!

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

how does that thing work?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

how does that thing work?

This is the early beginning to what is now refered to as a Conibear. The first pic shows the trap set. The last pic shows the latch/dog assembly. The second pic is the “fired” position. This is a size #1 for muskrats. When they swim through and hit the trigger, the bottom latch arm slides up and restricts the animal much like today’s modern coni’s

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Imagine what that trap has been through and caught over the years!

Kooty, I have all his homemade stretchers also. He was born in 1911 and we documented that he started trapping wolves by age 12. He used these “snare traps” as he called them all his life. I would assume he bought these used, and used them for 86 years. Its also a testiment to how he took great care of his equipment!

I’ll get more pics of his equipment when i have time

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’ll be the first to admit, I’m born in the throw away era. When I look at old pics from my grandparents youth, it amazes me how tough those folks must have been back in the early 1900’s.

timmy

I have the exact same trap – It used to be marketed by Herters, I believe. I saw the old ad for it showing a skunk getting caught……

Cool.

Tim

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.