Trailer repair, axle

• onestout
    Hudson, WI

Another trailer repair post…I bought a trailer this summer that seems to have a bit of a history, it’s a galvanized tandem axle bunk trailer. It started out life with oil bath hubs and at some point they were converted to grease. It also has different brakes, they had someone install Deezee hydraulic disc brakes. He lost a bearing and said he didn’t want to wait for an axle so he bought a new trailer, the same trailer which is now $6k.

I have done some looking and the axle is $1500 with shipping. It is a Dexter axle but they only make them for the oem so I have to buy it from them. I tore it apart and started looking into the damage and the seal area comes fr9m the factory with a sleeve, I was able to peel the old one off and that can be fixed. There is a m8nir lip where the races would seat but it seems like metal pushed up from other areas, not positive. I measure the rave seats and they are actually pretty good, within .002″ around. At this point I think I am going to clean it up and get a couple bearings and check the fitment, use some dykem and see how big the low spot is…it seems like I will be able to get by with some light staking.

The brakes also have an issue and I have a call into Deezee to try and get that figured out, all 4 brakes are doing the same thing, the caliper is sagging and the outer pad has a groove wore into the rotor.

I don’t need it until spring so it seems like I am starting on this way too soon.

Attachments:
    1. 20240101_155601-scaled.jpg

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Looks like an easy job to repair.

The most critical part is the where the seal lip rides. Its still not life or death if one checks for water in the hub often after the repair.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.