Trailer bearing help!

• Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Trying to remove this hub on a shore lander trailer. Got the pin , castle nut and outer bearing out but it will not pull off? Just wanted to inspect and repack before a trip!

Attachments:
    1. AB53DB3D-0A6C-40C6-95BF-FE12B83BDADB-scaled.jpeg

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Pulled this out the back so I’m going to need new seals if I can get it off

Attachments:
    1. 7A00573A-03E4-44E7-B6B7-60D2FF7F47E1-scaled.jpeg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

You can get full hub kits for about $30 each for that trailer. Easier just to replace it all in one shot.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

You can get full hub kits for about $30 each for that trailer. Easier just to replace it all in one shot.

Yeah price must have went up ! They are 60 at the lxm supply in grand rapids

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

All I can figure is the inner bearing is stuck and the grease seal is holding the hub on against the bearing. Funny the bearing are good always full of grease but wanted to replace grease with a better quality.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Never mind! Lol

Attachments:
    1. 306D1D1B-354D-4FB1-8B80-239621F35C39-scaled.jpeg

Leftysrconfused

I would think a 3 jaw puller like this would help. Thread the castle nut on just a bit to help hold the tool while removing the hub.

You may have to use the puller to remove the inner bearing also.

Attachments:
    1. 58118_400x400.jpg

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I would think a 3 jaw puller like this would help. Thread the castle nut on just a bit to help hold the tool while removing the hub.

Yep that’s what I used! Thanks. Found a new hub assembly for forty bucks

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Not trying to hijack thread, but I have a bearing question. My trailer is a 2017, last time I had boat out kinda sounded like something was rubbing under one fender. Hubs felt fine, but curious what it could be. I didn’t check it out when I got home and am laid up for a bit from surgery

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Not trying to hijack thread, but I have a bearing question. My trailer is a 2017, last time I had boat out kinda sounded like something was rubbing under one fender. Hubs felt fine, but curious what it could be. I didn’t check it out when I got home and am laid up for a bit from surgery

Probably just the seal rubbing, mine does that, no big deal.

R Petersen

I have never changed any wheel bearings in a 1984 trailer used 5 hours a year some years. It sits outdoors uncovered.
    If the bearings are set with the correct looseness cold or warm…………….
    They last forever. Maybe every 20 years I ONLY ADD some small amount of grease.

Full sized steel belted auto tires only. Always cool at 75 mph runs. I do a stop from 75 mph to check them. Could put my tongue on the hubs comfortably.

isu22andy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Leftysrconfused wrote:</div>

Yep that’s what I used! Thanks. Found a new hub assembly for forty bucks

40 bucks where’d you find that at ?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I have never changed any wheel bearings in a 1984 trailer used 5 hours a year some years. It sits outdoors uncovered.

On a boat trailer?

It’s corrosion and grit from being submersed in water that kill bearings and make boat trailer bearings a special pita.

On utility trailers bearings last almost forever because they never get wet.

MX1825

Full sized steel belted auto tires only. Always cool at 75 mph runs. I do a stop from 75 mph to check them. Could put my tongue on the hubs comfortably.

Is this a boat trailer that the wheels go in the water?

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Craig jack up the trailer 1 side at a time and spin the wheel.If you hear a low rumbling sound or any rough sound pull them apart and replace.

Deuces

Does synthetic grease really keep the bearing much cooler than regular?

Just did a camper trailer that had plenty of grease in it, bearings and everything looked great but man those hubs got hot rolling, couldn’t keep my hand on it. I’ve always used synthetic so I’m used to cool hubs.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Just did a camper trailer that had plenty of grease in it, bearings and everything looked great but man those hubs got hot rolling, couldn’t keep my hand on it. I’ve always used synthetic so I’m used to cool hubs.

It depends on the road temps. On a bright sunny hot day my hubs will be hot, at night they are nice and cool using synthetic grease. I go by a temp difference between the hubs more than just hot or cold, not often both hubs fail at the same time and same rate.

MX1825

Beads make sure your bearings are not too tight. Just a little slack is needed as bearings expand as they warm up.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

You Sir, are a very lucky man.

mrpike1973

I’m surprised with all the grease that it welded on. Glad you got it off without any damage I’ve never been that lucky. I wish I had your luck R Peterson.

MX1825

Mr pike wrote

I’m surprised with all the grease that it welded on. Glad you got it off without any damage I’ve never been that lucky. I wish I had your luck R Peterson.

R Peterson doesn’t have luck. He is Kornak! Knows all, sees all, hears all. whistling

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Are the brakes generating the heat or is it the bearings. The axles on my boat trailer with disk brakes are noticeably warmer than the ones without.

Generally speaking, synthetic grease will have lower viscosity at lower temperatures and will last longer. I don’t think synthetic grease adds much benefit in trailer bearings unless you are using them in very low temps.

For boat trailer bearings you want a grease with high washout resistance. Hence the blue color grease. They are typically meant for marine applications. Grease without these additives will tend to
    mix with water rather than repel it.

tim hurley

So should I check my grease and repack if its not blue?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.