Totally Green

• Richard Magby

I bought my first boat last week. 1985 Alumacraft Maverick with 40 hp Johnson. I’ve been watching lunching videos which have really educated me. The only problems are, my motor isn’t an automatic tilt engine. Do I need to tilt b4 backing into water or after I put boat in water. The other issue is this boat doesn’t have cleats, should I add them. I’m totally green and educating myself.

Lund1775
    Waconia, MN

I have a 78 Lund Mr. pike without auto tilt as well. I usually tilt it up before I back in when I am setting everything up. As far as cleats I would add some if you plan on using them for anchoring or tying off to a dock, I added 1 to my boat for anchoring. Hope that helps.

Chris

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It all depends on how high your motor is from the ground when it is all the way down. If it is less than 12” from the ground, you’ll want to tilt it up befor backing it in then lower it once it’s in the water.

It’s all about not hitting anything with your motor when it’s on the trailer.

I’d definitely add cleats.

Take a pic of your boat on the trailer and post it here. It’ll help us help you.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I would say yes and yes. Better safe than sorry so I would trim up.

I’d get 4 cleats to start….2 front and 2 back and you should be set.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I would say yes and yes. Better safe than sorry so I would trim up.

I’d get 4 cleats to start….2 front and 2 back and you should be set.

Agree. The 4 cleats will allow easy tie of while docking.

Good luck on the new boat.

-J.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I would agree with everyone. But I am sure you want to get out right away and may not have time to put cleats on before. For the time being, tie a long rope to you boat front eye, than wrap it around the dock, and find something to tie it to in the back. Enjoy your new boat and welcome.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I like to have a 20′ rope or so that is dedicated to boat landing available at all times.
    If backing is an issue, take your rig to a big parking lot, set up some cones and practice.

Do your best, if you have issues don’t let any A-holes at the ramp get you rattled.

Have fun with the new rig!

Welcome to IDO.

404 ERROR
    MN

Do your best, if you have issues don’t let any A-holes at the ramp get you rattled.

That’s about the best advice that came outa the forums in weeks.

Welcome

blank

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

That’s about the best advice that came outa the forums in weeks.

Welcome

For sure! And take your time and use your mirrors when backing up.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

If backing is an issue, take your rig to a big parking lot, set up some cones and practice.

This would have saved me the initiation of my first ever trailer experience happening at a super busy boat ramp. Gave up my keys and man card(well maybe boy then doah ) to a stranger who very ably backed dad’s boat in.

If I was teaching someone, off to a big parking lot for practice.

Yes on cleats and Welcome to IDO wave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.