Topo map for Garmin Gpsmap 64s for Mille Lacs GTG

• Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Getting antsy and working through my gear list. Can anyone suggest how I could go about getting a topo map for Mille Lacs on my handheld Garmin Gpsmap 64s? I typically use Navionics on my phone around the cities but looking to mount my Garmin in my UTV for when I’m ice trolling on Mille Lacs that weekend.

Navionics is great..don’t get me wrong. Just looking for slightly more accurate GPS tracking and don’t want to be dragging my cell phone around all weekend.

I’d prefer a free option since I only need the one lake, but I did find a used Garmin LakeVu HD chip on Amazon. Any words of advice from those that have been down this path?

Does anyone know if you get updates with LakeVu or is it fixed at whenever the chip was made? And is there anyway to tell the version or date when buying a used chip?

Thanks!

Jamin – aside from older chips that might work, I believe the LakeVu chips are the only current option.

Amazon is pretty good about purchase issues. Even with an sightly older chip, Mille Lacs will be up to date.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Always johnny on the spot with the wisdom, thanks. I may just take the chance on the used LakeVu card then on Amazon.

FYI- Had a good day on BM this past weekend…and again this afternoon. Thanks again for those tips as well!

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Well, Amazon used chip arrived yesterday. $50 got me a 2013 card. Not sure how I feel about that being almost four years old now.

On the fence returning it and just paying Garmin’s asking price of $150 to download it and hopefully get more updated information.

I believe Garmin has just recently started surveying for themselves. If you plan to fish the St. Croix, maybe consider getting the upgrade. I dont think they’ve improved or updated too many lakes overall.

The $99 chip from sunkissedlips off amazon is a 2017. It’s an installers chip & not retail packaged.

FYI- Had a good day on BM this past weekend…and again this afternoon. Thanks again for those tips as well!

Glad you could get your grandpa on some fish. I hope you didnt make him walk out on our last bit of good ice? I wouldn’t advise driving out anymore. rotflol ????

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Well I wish I would have noticed that listing on Amazon before. doah I think for the extra $50 it may not hurt having the most current maps. If I use it for the next 5 years then that data is only 5 yrs old…vs 9 yrs with the used chip I bought. I’ll have to see if I can return it.

In regards to BM…we took the Polaris out. I was out there again last Friday. Beautiful weather but definitely sloppy by 2pm when I had to leave. All ~20 holes drilled were about 18-19″ of ice, but with the pressure cracks starting to show themselves I will be keeping to foot traffic from here out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.