The wonderful world of DIY

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

It’s always rewarding when that pattern comes together. You pick a spot or a particular structure, you pick the right presentation, and the fish cooperate. But I don’t think that achieves anywhere the same level as doing it with “Do it yourself “ gear. Having that added investment of time and applied knowledge takes it to a different level. Wether it be building a custom rod to achieve a particular feel or painting cranks. It’s hard to explain the drive and the rush I still get from it.
    Once again it pays dividends. I wanted a lipless bait in the 5/16 to 1/2oz range with a little taller profile than a regular blade bait. Had to have the perfect distribution of weight in the nose to dive straight and not roll. After hours of searching different manufacturers around the world, I stumbled upon a profile that matched exactly what I looking for.
    Needless to say, had a day of feeding the rush

Attachments:
    1. 27882487-FEF1-43CE-ABAB-D3305379E3AC.jpeg

Deuces

Bet that thump felt good. toast

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I know what you are saying. I made my son a rod and we made some lures together. When he caught his first fish (big large mouth bass) on it I think I had a bigger smile than he did. I have such an itch to get out right now. I made up some test crappie baits and a new rod to go with it. I cant wait to try them out.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

I thought this was going to be about contractor adventures–finding hacked up DIY projects around the house from the previous owners.

The last guy who owned my house was an idiot and should have his tape measure confiscated. But then again… the folks who bought my old place probably think the same thing.

robby
    Quad Cities

Sweet Success!!!

MNdrifter

Awesome. Recently had the same feeling. It’s what keeps us going. You can have 5 fails to one success. Makes it all worth it. waytogo

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

I thought this was going to be about contractor adventures–finding hacked up DIY projects around the house from the previous owners.

I thought the same thing, im sure you deal with it on that end too. Nice work Randy!

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Nice lead in but don’t leave us hanging. Will you share what lure you discovered? Promise to give you credit for all fish caught on your new discovery.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Sorry my old eyes didn’t see it at first.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Nice lead in but don’t leave us hanging. Will you share what lure you discovered? Promise to give you credit for all fish caught on your new discovery.

Assumed everyone would see it in the eyes jaw. But here you go

Attachments:
    1. image-1.jpg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

And these too produced

Attachments:
    1. image-2.jpg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Btw – perch were eager to eat as well

Attachments:
    1. D7F17A53-EF02-4DD0-95F0-7B4969C0C06B.jpeg

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

You know how to pick them. Thanks Randy.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.