Uses of a .257 Weatherby?

• freitag
    Osseo, WI

I’m looking to the gun experts (or non)that own, have owned, or have used a .257 caliber rifle. I have just won a .257 mag Weatherby Vanguard at a local DU banquet last week and was wondering if this gun can be affectively used for deer, coyotes, etc…I have only used a .30-06..and for the last 8 years a .44 Ruger Redhawk for gun hunting. bowhunting is by far my main love. I’d appreciate any comments and/or incite on the use of this rifle.

brent07
    Preston, MN

I have used a .257 for deer for two years. I think it is an awsome gun for deer, brings them down without a problem. Congrats, you got a nice gun

brent07
    Preston, MN

I have used a .257 for deer for two years. I think it is an awsome gun for deer, brings them down without a problem. Congrats, you got a nice gun

Todd_NE

That is one of the SWEETEST guns ever! Don’t chase grizzlies, shoot careful at elk, and it’s too much for rabbit.

What a gun!

Todd

Todd_NE

That is one of the SWEETEST guns ever! Don’t chase grizzlies, shoot careful at elk, and it’s too much for rabbit.

What a gun!

Todd

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

A little too much freebore for me

Sometimes I am a little slow…..What is freebore?

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

Sometimes I am a little slow…..What is freebore?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I retain my right to remain silent.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I retain my right to remain silent.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I belive it is the distance the round travels, before it gets to the rifling of the barrel ??? I think…

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

I belive it is the distance the round travels, before it gets to the rifling of the barrel ??? I think…

big g

rod_leiting
    IA, Linn

From snipercountry.com via google.

Freebore – (aka ‘barrel throat’) The distance a bullet must travel between chamber and bore before its bearing surfaces contact the lands of the rifling, the purpose being to delay resistance, hence prolong pressure built-up. It cannot be too much, however, as that can cause instability in the bullet. This distance will vary from rifle to rifle, as well as according to the preference of the handloader, as some prefer the bullet to touch the lands, while others prefer it to be further away. Care must be taken not to make this distance too great, as this will adversely affect accuracy. It is not advisable to have the bullet touch the lands, either, as that can increase pressure levels significantly.

rod_leiting
    IA, Linn

From snipercountry.com via google.

Freebore – (aka ‘barrel throat’) The distance a bullet must travel between chamber and bore before its bearing surfaces contact the lands of the rifling, the purpose being to delay resistance, hence prolong pressure built-up. It cannot be too much, however, as that can cause instability in the bullet. This distance will vary from rifle to rifle, as well as according to the preference of the handloader, as some prefer the bullet to touch the lands, while others prefer it to be further away. Care must be taken not to make this distance too great, as this will adversely affect accuracy. It is not advisable to have the bullet touch the lands, either, as that can increase pressure levels significantly.

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Thanks for the info and vote of confidence on the rifle.

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Thanks for the info and vote of confidence on the rifle.

maddog
    Park Rapids Mn.

That’s the only cal. that my dad ever used.I.ve seen him knock down big bucks with that little pea shooter.I took a friend from Mpls up one year and we witnessed him folding up a running buck at 200 yards didn’t even quiver.I wish I had his Old 760 remmington in the .257 cal . Great gun

maddog
    Park Rapids Mn.

That’s the only cal. that my dad ever used.I.ve seen him knock down big bucks with that little pea shooter.I took a friend from Mpls up one year and we witnessed him folding up a running buck at 200 yards didn’t even quiver.I wish I had his Old 760 remmington in the .257 cal . Great gun

Dobber
    S.W. WI

what alvin mack said plus its a very flatshooting round. accuracy is usually not there strong suit.

Dobber
    S.W. WI

what alvin mack said plus its a very flatshooting round. accuracy is usually not there strong suit.

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

257 Weatherby knocks the socks off yotes and does a super job on deer. It is a great caliber in the wind and longer range shooting. An open country calibre.

Gundy

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

257 Weatherby knocks the socks off yotes and does a super job on deer. It is a great caliber in the wind and longer range shooting. An open country calibre.

Gundy

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.