Fire Proof Gun Safe, any insight ?

• big_g
    Isle, MN

I am in the process of looking for a fireproof gun safe. I have been told to stay away from the touchpad type. Does anybody have one, how does it work for you ? I’m looking for about a 24 gun safe, 60″ high with high gloss finish. I have looked at Cabelas, Gander, Sprtsman Whse, Scheels, and Mills fleet. Alout of brands out there, not sure about any of them. Im looking to spend about $1000 or so. Any insight appreciated.

big g

prieser
    Byron, MN

I have been shopping for a fireproof safe as well. I would have to guess that $1000.00 is a little light for a 24 gun safe. The biggest thing you need to look for is an expandable seal. Even though the fire proof safes are rated for 1200 – 1700 deg. most are not smoke or water proof. I have been to a couple of house fires where the wall of the safe held up but the contents were still damaged because of smoke and water. Most of these style safes are 1200-1500.00 minimum depending on the brand. Liberty, Browning, Cabelas brand. There all good. Just my two cents

prieser
    Byron, MN

I have been shopping for a fireproof safe as well. I would have to guess that $1000.00 is a little light for a 24 gun safe. The biggest thing you need to look for is an expandable seal. Even though the fire proof safes are rated for 1200 – 1700 deg. most are not smoke or water proof. I have been to a couple of house fires where the wall of the safe held up but the contents were still damaged because of smoke and water. Most of these style safes are 1200-1500.00 minimum depending on the brand. Liberty, Browning, Cabelas brand. There all good. Just my two cents

paul follmer
    any where there biting

I have the Large Browning safe with the gold wheel opener and green metle flake paint with deer in gold on front was a gift from the ex. And I love it, it holds the whole arsenel and there are shelves in side for other important documents the interior is lined with a felt like material, very soft guns never rust. I have had it three years and would never sell it. I am very happy with Browning.

paul

eyedoc

The fish where biting so good I thought it was yesterday

paul follmer
    any where there biting

I have the Large Browning safe with the gold wheel opener and green metle flake paint with deer in gold on front was a gift from the ex. And I love it, it holds the whole arsenel and there are shelves in side for other important documents the interior is lined with a felt like material, very soft guns never rust. I have had it three years and would never sell it. I am very happy with Browning.

paul

eyedoc

The fish where biting so good I thought it was yesterday

paul follmer
    any where there biting

P.S.

Browning offers a prety good warenty on their safes and contents. I dont remember the particulars but do remember it was a good warenty.
    down fall in weighs 900 lbs. cost was about $1600.00 at Sportsmens Whse.

You really cant go wrong spend the extra if you can they last forever, without a fire.

paul follmer
    any where there biting

P.S.

Browning offers a prety good warenty on their safes and contents. I dont remember the particulars but do remember it was a good warenty.
    down fall in weighs 900 lbs. cost was about $1600.00 at Sportsmens Whse.

You really cant go wrong spend the extra if you can they last forever, without a fire.

Tonto1
    W & E Wi

I have a 24 gun with key pad Remington, made by Liberty. Very nice safe and not super heavy. I did not notice much difference in the fire proofing from one to the other’s. Some of the brands have glass rods that will break in the attempt of drilling. The key pad I think is great for ease of opening it, never had a problem.

As far as security a professional thief will get into anything. When I was a kid I worked at a car dealer and some theaves drilled the bottom of the safe and broke into it. To this day I don’t know how they did it. It took six guys just to move the safe.

Tonto1
    W & E Wi

I have a 24 gun with key pad Remington, made by Liberty. Very nice safe and not super heavy. I did not notice much difference in the fire proofing from one to the other’s. Some of the brands have glass rods that will break in the attempt of drilling. The key pad I think is great for ease of opening it, never had a problem.

As far as security a professional thief will get into anything. When I was a kid I worked at a car dealer and some theaves drilled the bottom of the safe and broke into it. To this day I don’t know how they did it. It took six guys just to move the safe.

big_g
    Isle, MN

eyedoc, is yours a key pad or tumbler ? I looked at a 24 gunner at sprtsmans yesterday, browning. It was $899, with the key pad. My biggest question is, do the key pads work everytime, or do they have glitches. I know one guy told me he had a major problem trying to get into his once, before a trip out west. Knowing the guy though, he probably was puttin the wrong combo in !!! thanks.

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

eyedoc, is yours a key pad or tumbler ? I looked at a 24 gunner at sprtsmans yesterday, browning. It was $899, with the key pad. My biggest question is, do the key pads work everytime, or do they have glitches. I know one guy told me he had a major problem trying to get into his once, before a trip out west. Knowing the guy though, he probably was puttin the wrong combo in !!! thanks.

big g

birddog
    Mn.

There was a nice, big, I believe Cabelas brand In the bargain cave at the Rogers store. It has some paint chipped in the top corner and on 1 side…looked like it was tipped over?? Good deal at half the price of new!! I almost took it but have other things that need spending on. Might want to check it out.

BIRDDOG

birddog
    Mn.

There was a nice, big, I believe Cabelas brand In the bargain cave at the Rogers store. It has some paint chipped in the top corner and on 1 side…looked like it was tipped over?? Good deal at half the price of new!! I almost took it but have other things that need spending on. Might want to check it out.

BIRDDOG

big_g
    Isle, MN

BIRDDOG, when were you there ? how long ago. if it was recent, I’ll buzz down there 2nite !!!

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

BIRDDOG, when were you there ? how long ago. if it was recent, I’ll buzz down there 2nite !!!

big g

birddog
    Mn.

I was there on Sat. afternoon. Like I said, it had some dings. The top front right hand corner had a chunk of paint missing about 2″x2″ and the side of it had a few scratches. it was just about half the price of a new one. You might want to call first to see if it’s still there.

P.S. It had the keypad rather than the combo dial if memory serves me right.

BIRDDOG

birddog
    Mn.

I was there on Sat. afternoon. Like I said, it had some dings. The top front right hand corner had a chunk of paint missing about 2″x2″ and the side of it had a few scratches. it was just about half the price of a new one. You might want to call first to see if it’s still there.

P.S. It had the keypad rather than the combo dial if memory serves me right.

BIRDDOG

big_g
    Isle, MN

Thanks BDOG, seen it last night. “WAY TO FRIGGEN BIG !!!” that there is a monster. It was tagged $1148 normally $1799. If somebody needs a BIG safe, thats the one. I bet you could get a body shop to fill and paint it for about $200. The back right corner, had a big dent, that could be filled. I am getting the 24 gun unit for $799. They didn’t have a green one in stock, but they are expecting 64 of them monday. Thanks again guys for the input.

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

Thanks BDOG, seen it last night. “WAY TO FRIGGEN BIG !!!” that there is a monster. It was tagged $1148 normally $1799. If somebody needs a BIG safe, thats the one. I bet you could get a body shop to fill and paint it for about $200. The back right corner, had a big dent, that could be filled. I am getting the 24 gun unit for $799. They didn’t have a green one in stock, but they are expecting 64 of them monday. Thanks again guys for the input.

big g

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.