Tactical Training

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I carry and I practice myself. I am my own teacher. More and more I wonder about tactical training. Not busting down doors and clearing rooms but good gun handling practices should you be forced into a fight. Is there such a thing available in Minnesota/Wisconsin?

patk
    Nisswa, MN

This is something I’ve been looking into as well. The answer I’ve found is “sort of”.

Long answer

There seem to be opportunities to take classes on shooting or take your permit class. While valuable they do not hit the objective at hand. If I read correctly what you’re really after is how do you handle things in a terrible situation or better yet avoid said situation. If yes, keep reading my long winded response

This type of training seems to be in short supply. What I’ve found is three options.
    1. A day or weekend class that comes around from time to time. This could be quite excellent but you can only learn so much when cramming it in. If you don’t reinforce it on a very regular basis you lose it.

2. Private training. Best option I can find going right not but cost prohibitive for most. I took my carry class a couple weeks back from Mike Reilly who works at Arnzen Arms. Wouldn’t hesitate to give a referral to him for private lessons.

3. Ongoing training sessions. http://www.sealedmindset.com Can’t say enough good things about the methods and the staff after doing a set of six 90 minute sessions. They did a little at a time, you practiced at home, then built a little more the next class. After a set then you tested out or got sent back for more training.

That said, here’s the issue. They had to shut their facility down last month and are in a transition phase. Not sure what that means. Checked their site last night, right now you can buy their DVD set but not seeing options for hands on. Like I said, can’t say enough good things about Larry, the training, and his team!

I’ve asked at the Osseo Gun Club and the classes don’t hit the mark at hand. Looked at a number of websites for other ranges and don’t find much there either. Got a tip to see what classes are coming off the NRA site but haven’t followed up yet.

Curious to see what others have found.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

There are a lot of training classes/courses out there, but i think many are in and around larger metro areas. I know a lot of law enforcement/federal agents do these as a requirement, but I don’t know the details. A lot of the courses sound pretty good – on the ground handgun combat, low light engagement, general shoot/don’t shoot, advanced rapid deployment, Residential home sweep,…and more. I’ll be at some of my dealers down in IL (chicago area) over the next couple weeks. I’ll see what i can find available for civilian courses.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

I don’t know if Pat Rogers is offering any civilian training courses, or if he is still even providing training courses. I would try and find a way to contact him and get his personal reccomendation for what you are looking for. He retired from the Marine Corps, then served (I believe) 20 years as a New York City cop where I also believe he still holds the ticket for “the most consistency in putting the bullet where it is supposed to go,” if you catch my drift. Not that it is a bragging right for him, but a testament to the amount of true scenario hand gun experience he has in the real world. When I was serving in 3rd Battalion 5th Marines, our Battalion Commander, a friend of Rogers was able to book him for a 3 week training course. A course he only provided to special forces and SWAT teams. The marksmanship for myself and everyone in my unit increased dramatically as did the utility of our equipment. The changes we made with magazine placement, drop pouches, shooting form, shooting while moving, realistic scenario approach, and proper use of tactical slings branched out and is now so common amongst Marine Corps training, more recent Marines would have never known there was a different SOP a decade earlier. There are only a handful of actual tactical training experts out there and a lot of “so-called” tactical training experts that have never had to put their experience to the test. You may be able to learn something from any of them, but it’s going to cost you some real $$ to get some real training. Here’s Rogers’ own take on your question, written in this article. http://www.thegunzone.com/training.html

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Thank you guys. You hit the nail on the head. Not looking for safe gun handling practices or basics. I am interested in ways to handle people with training who are hell bent to kill. Advanced training. I’ve been carrying since it became an option here and I shoot often. Shooting my whole life like most here. Obviously related to current events but its been on my mind for a long time. Watching episodes of NCIS isn’t cutting it.. : )

deertracker

I’m kind of strapped for time now but will give you something to thing about and add to your training. You ever practice unholstering your gun while seated and buckled in your car? Something to think about.
    DT

deertracker

With a downloaded weapon of course. grin
    DT

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I shot a hole in my truck. You should have mentioned UNloading it first!

jester

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

What good is an unloaded weapon? ???

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I did try and you are right. So I grab the one in the center console instead!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

This post had me thinking for the last week or so. Whether it would be beneficial to a society to have a bunch of armed Rambo civilians around, with the potential obviously of themselves getting caught up in moments and accidentally killing innocent people, or making icky situations, even worse.

Then it finally dawned on myself how many news reports I’ve heard of such scenarios, which is none, and at this point in our time it seems defenitive, that nothing about it is. So hell what’s it gonna hurt for now, arm up!

Please post how these courses go for yourself, they sound intriguing and might even do one myself down the road.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Due to recent things happening in our society I have decided that my 2016 “to do” list includes getting my conceal/carry and a pistol. Where does one even start on that route? I’ve been shooting a BB gun since I was 5 and shotgun since I was 12. But don’t know anything about the pistol game.

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

Go run a mile, do 100 situps, 100 pushups and then empty a mag as fast as you can while aiming at center mass

Practicing fine motor skills like pulling a trigger straight back while your body is under extreme physical stress is the closest thing to a life or death situation. Best training out there

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Go run a mile, do 100 situps, 100 pushups and then empty a mag as fast as you can while aiming at center mass

Practicing fine motor skills like pulling a trigger straight back while your body is under extreme physical stress is the closest thing to a life or death situation. Best training out there

While this is a good form of training and discipline, there is nothing better for a real life scenario than repetitive real life scenarios. A primary reason that the Marine Corps shines as one of the dominating forces in the world, when it comes to efficiency, is due to their constant scenario training. Marines spend countless hours every week training for everything and the repetition never ends. For instance, when a convoy of Marines packed in the back of a 7 ton truck practices getting ambushed “contact right” or “contact left” is called and the Marines dismount in a staged manner as those in the truck suppress the enemy until it is their turn to dismount. They don’t do just a few of these practice runs, but rather hours are spent doing these scenarios over and over. When $&%# hits the fan in a real scenario and contact is made, no one wastes a second wondering what they are supposed to do. The training is so deeply imbedded in their minds from countless hours of practice that they perform flawless dismounts, encroach on the enemy position, and destroy their attackers before they can even fathom what just hit them. Being able to make a clean and true shot under pressure or physical stress is one thing, being fully prepared for everything and not “getting fuzzy” when something actually happens can only be attained through repetitious scenario training. While I do agree that practicing under physical stress is important and valuable, it is not “the best” training out there. Being able to make a clean shot under physical stress and being prepared for any situation are both important skills to have, but they do not overlap.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Due to recent things happening in our society I have decided that my 2016 “to do” list includes getting my conceal/carry and a pistol. Where does one even start on that route? I’ve been shooting a BB gun since I was 5 and shotgun since I was 12. But don’t know anything about the pistol game.

@TimJ
    Here’s my two cents and it’s counter to how most people do this. What I hear walking around town is many people buy a pistol then take the Permit to Carry class as their training. This curriculum is primarily about legal and situational not actual gun handling practices.

This is backwards to me. Take your first trainings on fundamentals for handguns. Establish fundamentals first then take the carry class. Ex. In my carry class last month I was the only one of the three with a proper grip.

A number of places offer an “intro” class. That would be a great first step. Your prior experience will give you a leg up on those starting with guns for the first time.

A few weeks back I watched a couple ladies take the intro class at Osseo Gun Club. Seemed like the instructor was doing a good job. Bills will have similar courses and the club in Blaine might have stuff too.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I took an intro to handguns class at Bill’s several years ago. It was pretty basic, but I’d never had any formal training with handguns, so it was definitely not a waste of time or money for me. The majority of the class, though, had never shot a handgun before.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

@nice fella
    thanks for the links. Those types of classes are exactly what I’ve been looking for with SealedMindset closing their shop. Hopefully someone will chime in with referrals or avoid type recommendations.

Marking this thread in my favorites

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

suzuki

I checked with a couple of my dealers down in the Chicagoland area. The vast majority are set up for law enforcement and Homeland security, and typically civilians don’t take part in these ( which I think is a bit crazy). But, there are great instructors that contract out to clubs and other organizations for 1 to 3 day training sessions. I didn’t get any exact costs, but I’m sure its $$$$$

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

FYI-
    We’re holding a MN/WI permit to carry class at The Bluff’s Bar and Grill (near Everts) on
    Sunday Jan. 10th @ 9 am
    $65.00 preregister and prepay.
    Need 21 rounds of ammo for your handgun.
    This is not a basics class which we recommend prior to taking any carry class.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Another side note.

I was in the process of planning an Ido shoot at Trader Joe’s in Forrest Lake, then Mom needed my attention and it’s been put on the back burner.
    They can handle groups of any size that we can muster.

If anyone wants to pick up the ball…

Palerider77

This. In the agency I work for, we always integrate pt into our tactical training. If you get your heart rate up, it simulates the fine motor issues that you will experience under stress. Getting in better shape in general will give you a serious advantage should you ever get in a real life and death fight.

Draw to fire reps are a good idea as well. Make sure the range you are at allows holster work. Start at home with an unloaded weapon.

Go through scenarios in your mind as you are moving through your day. “What would I do if?” Is a great training tool.

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

I find it intriguing after 50 years of confrontation I’m alive without a fire arm.
    Dont read into this as an anti.

What floats your boat makes me money! woot
    thankyou!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That’s how it should be. But the more good people armed, the greater the chance one will be there to help in an awful situation.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.