Swing and a miss

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Looked at a very nice 620 tiller with a 200 hp e-tec.
    Just couldn’t make myself buy a e-tec.
    Oh well, the search continues.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I am curious why not e-tec?

I’ve been dreaming of a plan to re power my boat with an e-tec. I’m looking for minimal weight and maximum fuel economy.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I am curious why not e-tec?

I’ve been dreaming of a plan to re power my boat with an e-tec. I’m looking for minimal weight and maximum fuel economy.

Because E-Tecs got a bad reputation going back to the early years when they were introduced. They had mechanical problems, most frequently with the higher HP models.

Everything changes very quickly now days, but reputations are set in stone in people’s minds when it comes to outboards. If somebody told them some brand was bad in 2004, they believe it’s still bad today.

The relevant fact would be what year was the 200 Etec on the Ranger? Maybe it was an older one and not worth taking a chance on. Maybe it wasn’t.

You guys won’t believe this, but at one time the phrase “Japanese Car” was synonymous with “total piece of junk”. Things change.

Grouse

deertracker

Don’t settle for anything less than the 2090 Brian. You deserve it. waytogo man it’s easy spending other people’s money. lol
    DT

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thanks DT, made a offer on one but that hasn’t worked yet either. I have the Crestliner which runs great so all isn’t lost yet. 😀

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

So much talk on how well boats track while going forward, do most boats more or less track the same going backwards in that upper price range? Just curious.

You plan on running a kicker or sticking with the main and TM? That 620t is a nice boat. When did they add the compartment for the anchor, that is pretty sweet.

ted-merdan

Hmmm…. I bought an ’06 – 620T, repowered it with a ’10 150 E-Tec and never been happier. There isn’t even an comparison to the four strokes that I drove on tiller models of Rangers. 3 second hole shot w/ 4 in the boat + 2 labs, full fuel and livewells… Motor has been great for me, trolls all day no issues, I have over 400 hours on mine and won’t even consider a kicker. Can’t wait to get it back on the water this year!

-ted

bradl110

Smart choice, I had a bad experience with an etec and made a promise to myself to never buy another. Only yamaha’s and merc’s for me going forward.

Plus if you look at WC or any of the other sites out there it seems boats with etecs are the hardest to move. Just my 2 cents.

mojogunter

The first optimax V6’s were bad. The first Verado’s had crank issues. There were 2 years where the 300 offshore Yamaha’s grenade at 300 hours. They all have had issues with certain models. I am on my 2nd etec. 1st I sold with over 650 hours if I remember right, and my existing etec has 160. If I had a motor that gave me all sorts of issues, I doubt I would buy another, but keep in mind no matter what motor you have, someone has had a nightmare with that same motor.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I have bought a boat. Thanks to all who chimed in. toast

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

I have a 150hp 2010 e-tec. One problem in the at 1st week with a injector. That was taken care of ASP. Zero problems after that an it has a TON OF HOURS on it. waytogo … rrr

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

I recently bought my first ever 2-stroke in the form of an Evinrude E-tec. It’s a brand new 150 HO, hung on a new 1880 Angler. I’ll be honest, the hole shot that little motor has is enough to make me grin ear to ear every time I take off. It is 3-5 MPH faster than my dad’s 1880 Angler (exact same boat with a 150 Merc 4-Stroke). It also sounds amazing WOT. Quiet at idle, easy on fuel. With a 7 year factory warranty, what is left to be scared of?

patk
    Nisswa, MN

@Andy – how is it on fuel compared to your dad’s equal boat? Assuming similar driving styles of course smile

In a re-power discussion with a friend to replace an older 2 stroke Merc 115. Easy choice is a Yamaha four stroke. More interesting choice is e-tec. Hole shot is not important but fuel consumption is.

mojogunter

I had a Yamaha 225 4 stroke and a 225 Etec on different boats. The etec was a 21.5′ vs a 20.25″. Fuel mileage was about the same for me whether it was idling, mid range, or wide open. Hole shot was night and day with the etec being so much better even with the heavier and longer boat. This was on a 05 Yamaha and a 08 etec. I would guess it would be similar with a 115 too but haven’t been in a boat with either 115.

bigstick56
    Lester Prairie, MN

Andy, Would like to hear why you went with a Ranger over the IDO “perferred” Skeeter?

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I thought this was a Twins thread smash

As for ETech’s I could never spend a dollar on one. To me they are too loud at WOT and they haven’t proven themselves for any length of time.

For me I’ll stick with what is arguably the most reliable motor on the market. Yamaha 115 or 150 bow But that’s why there’s more than one brand, different strokes for different folks.

I think there’s a reason why a boat with a Yamaha will sell faster than the same boat with any other motor though…

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I have bought a boat. Thanks to all who chimed in. toast

What did you end up getting Brian? Don’t leave us hanging like that!

deertracker

He bought a Skeeter tiller with a 115 Yamaha I believe. There are some pictures somewhere.
    DT

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Skeeter WX2000T.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_5574.jpg

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

That’s a fishing machine! I would have one of those in my garage if I could get the wife to sign off……

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

That’s a fishing machine! I would have one of those in my garage if I could get the wife to sign off……

Sometimes, it’s better to ask forgiveness then permission. lol

MnPat1

I recently bought my first ever 2-stroke in the form of an Evinrude E-tec. It’s a brand new 150 HO, hung on a new 1880 Angler. I’ll be honest, the hole shot that little motor has is enough to make me grin ear to ear every time I take off. It is 3-5 MPH faster than my dad’s 1880 Angler (exact same boat with a 150 Merc 4-Stroke). It also sounds amazing WOT. Quiet at idle, easy on fuel. With a 7 year factory warranty, what is left to be scared of?

With the 1880 you lose a storage compartment for the oil tank with a 2 stroke. With only 2 rear storage areas I’m not willing to give one up for oil. You can relocate the battery on a 4 stroke and have both storage areas. I’m surprised your 150 is 3 to 5 mph faster. Ive never heard of a etec 150 that goes over 50 on an 1880 but yours must be the first one. I am averaging over 5 gallons per hour on my 4 stroke so far at that rate i would have hundreds of dollars in 2 cycle oil for 100 hours compared to a $50 oil change.
    Congrats on your 1880 its a great boat I absolutely love mine.

For me the 4 stroke was an easy choice. I got a new non current 1880 with an 8 year motor warranty with bimini, tow bar and trolling motor for under 35k plus tax.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.