Summer Cocktails

• Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

By the flurry of responses already today you’d think we all “drink like a fish”.

rotflol

Attachments:
    1. hqdefault-1.jpg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I usually have a beer or 2 on Thirsty Thursday. Then we do drink Friday and Saturday, but this week I’m having one tonight. I should sweat a lot of it out mowing.

Pete S

Cutting the pineapple tonight for a batch of Stoli-Doli this weekend. Pour a 750 of vodka over two pineapple chunked in a iced tea container. Let sit for a few days and serve over ice. WARNING: Clothes tend to come off at a brisk rate.

We tend to drink more vodka in the summer and brandy/whiskey in the winter, spring summer and fall

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

Southern Comfort old fashioned sweet for the majority of time but then mix it with twisted teas, vodka and lemonade or just beer to change it up.

catmando
    wis

Any good dark rum and sour ,try it it’s a taste treat. Dk

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

good ole rum and coke. try a chuck norris sometime if you are into shots. you need to get those plastic shot cups with a spot in the middle for the liquor and the area around it for the chase. Its simply cherry vodka in the shot part and liquid ice as the chase. few of these will go down very easy…

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Cutting the pineapple tonight for a batch of Stoli-Doli this weekend. Pour a 750 of vodka over two pineapple chunked in a iced tea container. Let sit for a few days and serve over ice. WARNING: Clothes tend to come off at a brisk rate.

So do you store this in a fridge for 2 days or outside in the sun?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

@thefamousgrouse
    So what’s your mojito recipe? I’ve been perusing recipes online, and ratios vary quite a bit. I made some simple syrup tonight and have a co-worker bringing in fresh mint for me.

Iowaboy1

Jack and pepsi on any day that ends in “Y” more jack than pepsi though.

a once in a while bracer is Rumplemans peppermint schnapps in a shot glass dropped into a small glass of jack or eight year old black velvet and drank together as soon as the shot glass hits the bottom of the bourbon glass.
    the sweetness of the 110 proof schnapps in the bourbon makes an interesting combination.
    I think at one time it was called a snowshoe??

dont have too many though,you will wake up chewing on your tongue and wondering how you got where you are at.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I like the “Gloria”, simple vodka and coke for my regular beverage, but once in a while a Jack and coke really hits the spot. Man o man I love me some JACK!! toast

Kyhl
    Savage

I usually have a beer or 2 on Thirsty Thursday. Then we do drink Friday and Saturday, but this week I’m having one tonight. I should sweat a lot of it out mowing.

Today is New Beer Thursday on the Untappd app. Get a new badge after logging a new beer on 3 out of 4 consecutive Thursdays.

So I usually have a beer on Thursday and it is usually something I haven’t tried before.

Stupid app making me drink on a regular basis. toast

zooks

Gin and tonic for me in the summer time, I’ve been leaning back toward London Dry gins like Hendricks, Beefeater and Gordon’s, too. Never cared for Tanqueray and had been buying more floral versions like New Amsterdam but the juniper heavy styles have been tasting good.

Good bourbon or rye anytime is nice and I prefer 1-2 ice cubes in mine, opens up the flavors for me. Heard an interview with Julian Van Winkle III of Pappy fame who said he prefers a small amount of ice in his whiskey, too and I’m not one to argue with an expert.

I don’t do much of the involved cocktails – too lazy, mostly – but Grouse has got it dialed in with the mojitos. A good homemade margarita or a Hemmingway style daiquiri is delicious too.

For a crowd, my favorite is a Texas Margarita. Similar to a strip and go naked, but tequila instead. Buy good frozen juices, it makes a difference.

1 can frozen limeaid
    1/2 can frozen OJ
    3/4 limeaid can of tequila – Cuervo or Sauza blanco, nothing fancy
    2 cheap beers, whatever is on hand
    A splash of 7up and/or some fresh cut pineapple per glass is nice but not necessary.

jbb
    Minneapolis area

Vodka, OJ, and fresca over ice

deertracker

I had an amzaing mojito at Dj’s Taphouse in Alexandria tonight. If your ever in the area check it out.
    DT

schoff
    S.E., SD

Crown Regal Apple and 7up 50/50 mix fill with ice…..

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Kyhl, I’m installing the app now. It’s the weekend after all.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Stupid app making me drink on a regular basis. toast

I thought only the 3 Ws could make a man drink- Work, women and weddings.

I have a buddy with a beer app- not sure what it is called- that makes him drive hundreds of miles from southern Illinois to Wisconsin, in search of new beers to drink.

Pete S

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pete S wrote:</div>

So do you store this in a fridge for 2 days or outside in the sun?

On the counter

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

A few times every summer I’ll buy the big jar of cherries from Sam’s. Drain the juice and set aside, refill with bacardi and let marinate a few days.
    Then use the now red and tasty rum to make Mai tais. Then enjoy the “cherry bombs”
    The other ingredients are pineapple juice, orange juice and a splash of grenadine. Garnish with one of the high octane cherries and put your car keys in the gun safe.

Remember, you can’t drink all day if you don’t start in the morning toast

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You guys sure are imaginative, resourceful and prolific when it comes to drinking…

…fishing, not so much. Wait, did I say you guys?

404 ERROR
    MN

If you can get over the name, it will be your best friend for approximately 20 minutes, then your enemy…Best summer thirst quenching drink.

Strip-and-go-naked:
    6 cans of beer (light beer preferred)
    1 12oz can lemonade concentrate
    375ml bottle of Vodka

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That sounds good, but I am afraid I am going to have to brush up on my division skills. I also wonder if replacing a couple of those beers with ginger beers might give it a nice mix of lemon tart to the ginger twang.

If you don’t hear from me on Monday I am either hung over or lost.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

If you don’t hear from me on Monday I am either hung over or lost.
    [/quote] Probably both…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

@thefamousgrouse
    So what’s your mojito recipe? I’ve been perusing recipes online, and ratios vary quite a bit. I made some simple syrup tonight and have a co-worker bringing in fresh mint for me.

You have to make mojitos “to taste”. By that I mean tune then to the sweetness of your limes, and the potency of your mint leaves. I suspect that’s why there are so many recipe variations.

Here’s my staring point for a double, which is the only kind worth drinking.

Cut a whole full lime in half and quarter each half. In a tall glass (I freeze my glasses) squeeze the juice of each lime section and drop the lime section into the glass.

On top of the limes, add about 15-20 fresh mint leaves. Rub 2 leaves on the rim of the glass and add to glass.

Muddle the mint leaves thoroughly with a steel spoon. Go on! Man up and muddle those suckers!

Add 3 ounces of white rum. IME brand matters little.

Add about 2 ounces of sugar syrup.

Stir the current ingredients together in the glass.

Fill the glass about 2/3 full with ice cubes. I prefer whole ice because it doesn’t water down the drink.

Top up with club soda.

Stir the entire drink with a long spoon so the lime, mint, and ice are well blended.

Go to your humidor and find a Montecristo #2 or a Arturo Fuente Churchill. Do not cut or light it! The cigar is not for you, send it to me.

Taste the drink and enjoy or adjust if necessary.

The big adjustments are as follows:

Adjust your sugar syrup if the drink is too sweet or too bitter for your taste. Because the potency of syrups varies and the sweetness or bitterness of limes vary, this is the main adjustment.

Adjust club soda content to taste and to glass size. I make my mojitos in thick 16 ounce glasses, as I said I freeze the glass so the ice doesn’t melt and water down the drink.

Grouse

KP
    Hudson, WI

Thanks for sharing Grouse! I must leave work now and start making “some” of these!

robby
    Quad Cities

Vodka and Lemonade. Templeton Rye straight up with 1 icecube when Im done for the day

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Can’t go wrong with Southern Comfort lemonades

waytogo

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Grouse, I missed your recipe before the weekend, but I was please with my results. waytogo

Attachments:
    1. mojito.jpg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Looks good! Might have to make some this weekend.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Muddle the mint leaves thoroughly with a steel spoon. Go on! Man up and muddle those suckers!

Come one, man. Don’t you have a muddler? )

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 143 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.