Sturgeon Seasons

• Charlie Vaughan
    On the river

It probably has to do with spawning and/or quality of the fishery, but why is there no sturgeon season in the spring on the St.Croix while there is a season this time of year on the Rainy? Any info is appreciated.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It is catch and release right now. Are you looking to keep?

There is a closed period from late April to early June I believe due to the spawning season.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The new C&R season for the State of MN was set up to close down for spawn. The Rainy/LOTW’s season, well I’m not sure how they came up with the C&R and kill seasons up there. I’m guessing it has something to do with the colder water temps but that’s just a guess.

Also they have well over 6000 sturg tagged up that way.

rschmidty

I think you are right BK. They probably spawn a couple of weeks later up there.

Charlie Vaughan
    On the river

Mostly the answers I anticipated. Does anyone know about how many sturgeon have been tagged out of the croix? Thank you.

Charlie Vaughan
    On the river

Why post the picture of regulations? Seems like an odd choice of seasons. If it’s harmful to catch spawning fish, why does the rainy season go through it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

How many tagged sturgeon in the St Croix?

5 years ago there were less then 400 and the estimated total number of sturgeon in the St Croix was less then 3000.

Now we know that population estimate is wrong back then and the DNR has been working with the commercial fishermen along with their on efforts to tag fish since then. I’ll see if I can poke Joel to jump in here with some hard numbers.

Two years ago when the DNR was contemplating a State wide catch and release season, it was originally going to be open 12 months. The sturgeon fishing community suggested a closed season during the spawn because no one new what effect handling these old fish would have on recruitment.

The reason the size legal to harvest went from 50 to 60 inches a few years back was because there was areas in WI they were concerned with recruitment.

Running through a brief life cycle history here.

Female Lake Sturgeon reach sexual maturity about 25 years old. About a 50 inch fish. Males about 14 years. Females spawn about every 4 years.

So since the sturgeon are slow in reproducing, there’s some issues in areas with reproduction already, smaller populations and lastly not having much documentation on handling sturgeon ripe for spawn, it was decided to play on the safe side and allow hassle free spawning.

Our sturgeon populations are still recovering not only in numbers but size. Catching and releasing them typically won’t hurt a healthy fish. Having spawn in our boats and gill holds can change that.

Long answer to a short question. )

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Why post the picture of regulations? Seems like an odd choice of seasons. If it’s harmful to catch spawning fish, why does the rainy season go through it.

They don’t. Read the regs carefully. It closes complete during the spawn and they cannot be targeted.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It closes complete during the spawn and they cannot be targeted.

And for those two months, God made walleyes.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Totally out of context.

So I’m back to never saying anything worth while. coffee

redneck
    Rosemount

Sorry, doesn’t matter. Out of context or not you still said it. Welcome to the walleye side ole “God made walleye”. That’s ok though—-I started keeping catfish again last year. Everything really does go full circle.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.