Strikemaster honda lite owners

• eyeguy507
    SE MN

Are these augers all cold blooded or is it just mine? People claim how quick they fire but mine takes forever unless I hold the throttle down, then it pops off in a couple pulls. Always starts in 1 pull once it is warm.

I turn switch on
    Turn lever to choke
    Squeeze bulb 3 or 4 times
    Then I pull 10 plus times minimum to just get it to growl
    Am I missing something here?
    Why does it start so easy with throttle pushed?
    I always use non oxy gas and seafoam every so often. It is probably 5 years old so carb should be fine?

mrpike1973

I had one could not wait to get rid of it cold blooded. took 2 out of the box before I got one that would even cut. Sorry not what your looking for but just the same things I in countered.

Troy Hoernemann
    Nevis mn

How old is it i would try adjusting the idle screw up little bit and see if that helps they sometimes turn them down too far cuz they don’t want the clutch to engage and somebody get caught in their auger I would make sure that you have a good plug I would start it run it warm it up and then adjust the idle screw up not too far you don’t want the auger starts to run by itself

Skol
    Lake City

I have to feather the throttle on my Strike lite first generation. Just something I got used to doing over the years. I don’t even think about it anymore it just second nature.

I don’t pump the ball at all.
    Put it in the choke position
    Usually 3 pulls and it starts
    I then shut the choke off and let it warm up as I’m setting the shack up.
    I also run non-oxy fuel with a splash of Neutra.

mrpike1973

Eyeguy, My apologizes You didn’t ask for my sarcastic opinion. I had the same issues as you also using the non oxy gas did help me quite a bit. As others said here the starting can be a pain each one seems different. Pumping the ball as Skol said is true the less I touched it the better. Good luck and happy fishing.

tswoboda

Are these augers all cold blooded or is it just mine? People claim how quick they fire but mine takes forever unless I hold the throttle down, then it pops off in a couple pulls.

So it starts fine if you hold the throttle open?

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Id say you have carb issues. I’ve had Honda Strikemaster since they came out and absolutely love it. I’ve drilled a thousand holes easy. Never had issues starting. I follow the same procedure as you except I don’t need to hold the throttle down. Usually starts 3rd pull if it’s cold first pull after that. If it’s very cold (-20°) it will take about ten pulls to get it woken up.
    I always run non oxy premium fuel and change the oil every fall.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>
    Are these augers all cold blooded or is it just mine? People claim how quick they fire but mine takes forever unless I hold the throttle down, then it pops off in a couple pulls.

So it starts fine if you hold the throttle open?

Yes lately that is the only way to get it going unless it is sunny and 30 plus. Holding the throttle open is not how it is intended to be started so just throwing it out there. All my 4 stroke honda motors are 1 or 2 pulls, except this little 33cc.

mrpike1973

Just thought of this get a hold of Strikemaster. Some of them had to short of a gas return line i think that’s what it was A new line and it was better. Sorry i did not think of this sooner.

SoDak Fisher Guy
    Eastern SD

I would maybe try a new spark plug, and also check the length of the tube from the tank to the carb. might be a hair to long…that happened on mine and it wasn’t getting enough fuel

tswoboda

I would hold the throttle open, pull the rope, and go fishing.

Skol
    Lake City

The starting technique I described earlier is right from strikemaster on starting it. When I first bought mine I thought I got a lemon so I stopped by their shop in Big lake. Mechanic guy showed me the throttle feathering technique and every since then I haven’t had an issue starting. Prior to stopping in, starting would take forever. If my memory serves me, I want to say it has to do with the way they are jetted to handle a broad spectrum of extreme temperature ranges with a four stroke.
    You are right about starting on warm days with no feathering.

Your carb is just fine…it just boils down to, like someone stated earlier, every engine is a little different. I’ve had mine since strikemaster first introduced the strikelite 4 stroke and couldn’t be happier with it. I’ve punched thousands of holes with it and not once has it failed me and sent me home early because of auger problems.

John Timm

I would make sure your running a thinner oil. Like a 5-30 or even 0-20/30.

Dave maze
    Isanti

My Honda is the same way. Full throttle and two pulls. I’m fine with it. It’s reliable.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

I have a lazer mag and for the first two years had issues on and off starting it. Brought it to D-rock and a couples times and finally the mechanic just told me to hold the throttle down. Said that is the way he has always done it. Never needed more than 3 pulls since.

hillhiker
    SE MN

Often times with a carb engine the need to hold the throttle wide open means the engine is flooded.

My SM Honda starts best following the Strikemaster instructions minus pumping the primer. When I do pump it I need to either pull many more times or I have to hold the throttle open like you’re doing. The only time I pump the primer is if the auger has sat for months and I don’t see any fuel in the bulb. I would say mine has never taken more than 5 pulls to start since I quit using the primer, and most of the time it’s more like 2-3 pulls.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I would make sure your running a thinner oil. Like a 5-30 or even 0-20/30.

It calls for 0-20 so that is what I always ran. I’m fine holding the throttle open, just curious why this works as I am no mechanic. Like stated, I will try to feather it and check the length of the fuel line too. Thanks for the replies, always nice to know some more about this auger.

Dave maze
    Isanti

The carbs on these motors are very small and have issues self priming when the motor is cold. They work great once they get going. When you open the throttle, you open the needle valve that regulates fuel. This gives you enough fuel to start the motor and gets the air out of the fuel passages in the carb. It’s just not the best design for cold starts.

sheppy

Mine fired up first pull and idles just fine. As soon as I start cutting, after it warms up, the motor will stall out unless I run it on half choke. It’s been like this since day one, I’m sure it needs a tune up but when the auger is running properly, the thing rips.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Tried it yesterday without priming it and held the throttle down while pulling and it was running in 2 pulls. I guess this will be the way I start it from now on. Maybe honda/strikemaster will update their starting instructions.
    It never let me down…..yet, so I can’t be too upset. It is quiet and lite which is why I got it.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Maybe honda/strikemaster will update their starting instructions.

Every carbureted motor I have ever owned has it’s own unique starting procedure. Figure out what works best and go waytogo

Skol
    Lake City

Glad we could help!

Ty Kennedy

Have you ever tried not priming the bulb? We have one as well and whenever the bulb is primed it takes like 20-30 pulls to get it going but when we don’t touch it it fires off in 7-10 pulls.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.