Strikemaster 40volt Extra/Replacement Battery

• gonehunting

I read somewhere that this battery may serve as a spare/extra/replacement battery for the Strikemaster 40volt auger. Can anyone confirm? I am NOT recommending this battery. I’m guessing it would also void your warranty. Just seems like an economical choice if it works. It is 6Ah not 5ah.

Attachments:
    1. 9D07794E-84BD-445C-B0B0-9CACFB0673F4.png

2. B551D417-3921-4CE2-8EB4-D2CC55C54C75.jpeg

3. B8BA2929-FF0C-44E3-8B1F-B0D47D95F6D4.png

futurepoorperson

You should be the first to try & keep us all posted 😎

gonehunting

Looks to be a 24 volt option also. Just saying…

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That hurts when you guys have to start replacing batteries.

JoeMX1825
    MN

My original Ion batteries were both running strong after 7 years of use. I just upgraded to the G2 model but my guess is those originals will continue to run strong for many more years to come for the next owner…so much for all the haters saying we’d be replacing batteries every few years…

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

My original Ion batteries were both running strong after 7 years of use. I just upgraded to the G2 model but my guess is those originals will continue to run strong for many more years to come…so much for all the haters saying we’d be replacing batteries every few years…

Wasn’t hating. Just saying that hurts. Our batteries from the original ion are still going as well.

gonehunting

My thought was not that guys are having to replace a lot of original batteries. You see all these drill set ups having to bring extra batteries with if drilling a lot of holes. I’ve been on Lake Winnipeg where I’ve seen guys have three to four extra batteries on the dash of the SnoBear for thick ice. Just throwing this out there since it seemed pretty cost effective. No dig on any particular battery.

JoeMX1825
    MN

another note on batteries, yes the listed msrp is expensive, but you can typically find deals for about 1/2 off a new battery in the spring time…personally i’d stick with the stock brand batteries vs generic brands…the stock brand has a reputation to maintain so they’ll likely go with the better parts inside vs the knockoffs just looking to make a quick buck…

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I picked up a couple of the SM 40v batteries last year for $49 at L&M. The sale was in January and in-store only.

I picked one up for a member here in exchange for a very nice custom ice rod.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see that price at some point again.

tswoboda

I read somewhere that this battery may serve as a spare/extra/replacement battery for the Strikemaster 40volt auger. Can anyone confirm? I am NOT recommending this battery. I’m guessing it would also void your warranty. Just seems like an economical choice if it works. It is 6Ah not 5ah.

I wouldn’t buy a knockoff power tool battery as they are often built with recycled cells. One cell will go bad after a year or two (out of the warranty period) and the battery is worthless.

Someone with a SM auger, either 24v or 40v, should buy a Greenworks battery just to confirm if they are actually compatible… The cases are identical in pictures. My guess is one of the cases will have an extra plastic tab that won’t allow them to be compatible with other brands, but that plastic tab could be easily removed.

Attachments:
    1. 24v.jpg

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

another note on batteries, yes the listed msrp is expensive, but you can typically find deals for about 1/2 off a new battery in the spring time…personally i’d stick with the stock brand batteries vs generic brands…the stock brand has a reputation to maintain so they’ll likely go with the better parts inside vs the knockoffs just looking to make a quick buck…

I’ll second this. I have cheap Chinese knock-off batteries in my Ridgid tools that I got from Amazon. The original Ridgid batteries lasted a little more than a decade. The knock-offs are complete trash. I got what I paid for.

CaptainMusky

The other thing about these lithium batteries is when they go bad you can actually have them fixed at places at batteries plus. I know they do drill batteries no reason they couldnt do these. Cost wise no idea on price so in the end it may be better to just get a new one, but thought I would throw that out there.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Someone with a SM auger, either 24v or 40v, should buy a Greenworks battery just to confirm if they are actually compatible… The cases are identical in pictures. My guess is one of the cases will have an extra plastic tab that won’t allow them to be compatible with other brands, but that plastic tab could be easily removed.

The engineers at Strikemaster have told me you can grind off the extra tab(s) and get it to fit in the slot but the non-strikemaster batteries will not perform in the cold. So, someone needs to try and let the world know how it works at 10 degrees. People I’ve talked to say it won’t work well at all.

CaptainMusky

The engineers at Strikemaster have told me you can grind off the extra tab(s) and get it to fit in the slot but the non-strikemaster batteries will not perform in the cold. So, someone needs to try and let the world know how it works at 10 degrees. People I’ve talked to say it won’t work well at all.

James, do you happen to know what type of Lithium cells the SM batteries are? Are they Lithium Ion or LifePO4? Just curious.

tswoboda

Right on… a cold weather/cold battery comparison would be great. This video at least at least answers the question that the Greenworks batteries do fit the SM augers. I certainly hope the guys experimenting continue to let the world know.

So if we know a Greenworks battery is compatible with Strikemaster augers (not sure on cold weather performance yet), then I think it’s safe to assume a Strikemaster battery is compatible with Greenworks power tools. So then my question is why the heck is Strikemaster not marketing that?! I mean the only knock on the 24v against drill augers is that the Strikemaster 24v batteries can only be used in the winter. Well now all of the sudden those batteries can be used to power chainsaws, leaf blowers, weed wippers, etc. Seems like a win/win situation for Strikemaster and Greenworks to me.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.