Fishing Derby Help

• 192-fazer
    Cedar Falls Ia.

I’m on the board of Big Brothers Big Sisters of northeast Iowa and we are putting together a fund raising fishing derby scheduled for Sunday June 10th 2007 at Eagle lake in Evansdale Iowa. We want to stock the lake with some hungry bullheads and give out some small prizes for the first 500 fish caught, but all unmarked fish equal an entry into a grand prize drawing, to be anounced later. We would have liked the free fishing weekend the previous weekend, but the lake was not available. Thanks to the Waterhawks ski club we were able to secure the lake on that date. This has been in the planning for 3 years, but for some reason or not has never got off the ground. This year we have some funding through the agency and some through sponsors one being Hy-Vee to kick it off. We are still looking for sponsors and prizes, but what we really are in need of are volunteers and licensed volunteers. Since we were not able to get the free fishing weekend, we need volunteers with fishing license to help kids that may be with a parent or mentor that doesn’t have fishing license. I’ve already looked into the matter and was told by the Iowa DNR that although a child under the age of 16 doesn’t have to have a fishing license. They do have to be with a licensed adult even at a private lake. If anyone would like to help bring back a fishing derby to the area, or wants to help out or more information send me a pm. If anyone has ever put on an event like this, and knows of some over looked items or pitfalls I would really like to hear from you. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Gaylen

ducky
    Waterloo, Iowa

I could prolly give you a hand and can prolly get some donations too. Have you talked to Walmart, Kmart or Hanks about maybe donating some fishing equipment or bait?

192-fazer
    Cedar Falls Ia.

I’ve talked to the new owner of Hanks, and he seemed to be interested in helping, but nothing in stone yet. We have a committee meeting next week where we will deligate some of the duties of contacting more sponsors. Thanks for the heads up on Walmart and K-Mart.

mikez
    Missoula MT, Eldridge IA

Have you tried Scheels as a sponsor? (Maybe Dean at Evert’s would be willing to donate a St. Croix rod as a prize? ) If I can help, let me know.

192-fazer
    Cedar Falls Ia.

Scheels is on our list to contact. That is after I have a committee meeting to delegate duties of contacting possible sponsors. It’s good to hear from you Trollin. We’re going to have to hook up soon.

kodmag1
    NE Iowa

I’m in. I’ll PM you.
    Chris

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.