Saturday Sept 2 Cedar Rapids area

• Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Headed out Saturday morning again looking for some fish, but came up pretty much empty handed. I figured the cold water would have them moving into the shallows again. Wrong.

I spent the morning throwing buzzbaits, cranks, and pitching jigs. One small LM on main channel rip-rap, nothing in the backwaters save an enormous buffalo that got himself snagged on my buddies crankbait.

I like to fish the Cedar because it’s about the only place I can run the motor and not get swamped by powerboats, but the lack of fish is really starting to get to me.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

John, i’ve been doing fair wading the wapsi and maquoketa fishing rocky shorlines and faster water on some decent smallies and a few walleyes big enough to take home. Both rivers are clear right now. If you don’t want to drive far try the roller dam and wade out, lots of smallies and sheepheads, dozens of sheepheads to pull on the line. Minnows and bobber drifting gets them.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

When I wade for smallies, I do like the smaller rivers, but most of the time the mobility of the boat more than makes up for any problems I have getting into skinny water.

I suspect with the colder temps, the fishing should be picking up fast. Now all I need is some time away from work.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya John, thier starting to bite better then they were a month ago, should only get better now.

walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

Why is it that everything happens in the fall, not only great things, but time consuming things? Waterfowling, Pheasant Hunting, Deer Hunting, Trout Fishing, Walleye Fishing, College Football, School, ect… It’s so hard to decide what to do!!!

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

WW…if you think that’s bad, you better not ever get married

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

Quote:

Why is it that everything happens in the fall, not only great things, but time consuming things?

Once you find that good ‘Eye bite on the Cedar it won’t be that tough to decide

Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

I know from seeing your posts and talking to others that a Cedar eye bite does exist. But aside from brief smatterings of 2-3 fish outings I have never experienced the Cedar Hot bite myself. For interior streams the Upper Iowa, Maq and Wapsi have been much more friendly for numbers and quality for me. Maybe someday I’ll get it figured out. But I sure do agree with that statement, its not tough at all for me to pick a hot walter bite over Tivo’ed Hawk games or chasing bucks or birds. I for one love the fact that the very best walter bite happens when most walter fisherman hang it up for a bow, gun or seat on the couch.

walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

Yeah, thank god for Tivo. I love the Hawks and the Wolverines, but nothing beats a morning in the field, and an afternoon on the water. Or, fish the river the whole day and keep the 12 gauge handy for those unsuspecting ducks and low flying geese!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.