Root River

• jeffleek
    preston, mn.

I was down by Whalan on Thursday evening fish the Root. It Was absolutely a beautiful on the river. I was throwing wally divers, jointed shad raps, and a few jigs and plastics. I got two nice saugers. I hope my attachment works!!! JLK

jeffleek
    preston, mn.

I’ll try again!!

jeffleek
    preston, mn.

Another!

jeffleek
    preston, mn.

AND ONE MORE OF A NICE BROWN!

JimW
    SE MN

jeff,

Gotta be careful, your photo gives away your location from those who walk the mighty Root!!!LOL.
    Just joshin’, nice fish and Fall wading the Root has to be one of the best places to be!!!

Jim W

bassthumb
    Madison, WI

I was visiting my parents, and got out to fish the Root on the 21st. It was drizzling off and on, but was generally a nice day to be on the water. I caught 6 walleyes, 2 sauger, 3 smallmouth, and 3 nice brown trout. Was a fun day to be out. Wish I could have been out longer, but I had plans so I was off the water by 2pm. I also went out for a brief time Sun. before the vikes game and caught 3 more walleyes. Between the two days, the walleyes and sauger weren’t real big, but fun to catch, the bass were pretty small, and the browns went 15″, 16″, and a nice 17.5″. Lost a couple of nicer walleyes that popped off. I was surprised that I never got any decent smallmouth, but it sure was fun to fish the root again. Good luck to everyone.

JimW
    SE MN

jeffleek and bassthumb,

you guys mention walleye. I have never targeted them on the root, mainly smallies and trout.
    Are these “happen stance” catches or are you targeting them? Care to share the method to your madness??

Thanks

Jim W

jeffleek
    preston, mn.

Jim, When I’m floating or just wading the river others on the river stop and ask what I’m fishing for,I used to say whatever will bite! Now my answer is always “walleyes and sauger”. I get some strange looks now and than. I’m sure some of these folks think only carp and suckers live in these rivers! I do target them really alot like I do for bass. I can’t tell you exactly what differences, if any, I do to catch one or the other. I do use wally divers and shad raps alot and can run them very slowly ticking and sometimes banging the bottom. I loose alot of them, but hey, you can’t beat the action! I’ll also, mostly when I fish from my little boat, use a plain hook with a split shot and crawler. I like to cast up stream a little and let it just tumble down stream with slightly slack line. You’ll feel just a little “tugging” and BANG!!! A swimming jig and plastic or half crawler works great too. JLK

JimW
    SE MN

Jeff,
    I figured the crank baits would probably produce just fine. Are you hitting the larger pools, runs etc?

Thanks again! Maybe we should hook up for a little fishin’ finally!

Jim W

jeffleek
    preston, mn.

When I take my boat out I can fish the larger pools by either anchoring or just drifting though and motoring back up. I have been fishing lately from shore-wading in shallower runs more toward evening with best results. But I’m going to tell you one of my best locations and tactic right out here for all to see ’cause I don’t think most poeple will try it!! I fish right off the bridge in Whalen with fire line, small jig-depending on the wind,and a green twister tail grub thing. I do this when I only have a short time to fish. I just hoist ’em up over the rail! It’s not nearly as fun, but it does take care of my fishing fix!!! Actually the little boat is my favorite. It takes care of a full day if I do it correctly. Plus it’s not nearly as easy to fall out of as a canoe!!!! And man is it fun! JLK

jeffleek
    preston, mn.

Oh, and yes Jim, we are going to have to go out some time.

jeffleek
    preston, mn.

Bassthumb, Sounds as though you are from around the area-Lanesboro,Peterson. Also sounds like you have found those “secret” walleyes and saugers! I’ve fished the root for forty plus years now and seem to find something new to catch almost every trip. A few weeks ago I caught 3 river sturgen. I’ve caught them before, but only one at a time!!! JLK

JimW
    SE MN

The more I read and think about the Root, the less I want to drive my boat down to the Mississippi!
    jeffleek, you’ve got a private!

Jim W

jeffleek
    preston, mn.

Jim, I sent you a pm. Please let me know if you got it. It’s not showing it went out! JLK

bassthumb
    Madison, WI

Just wondering how the bite on the root is going. I might be able to get out either on Sat. or Sun. morning hopefully. I’ll be visiting MN for a wedding, so I want to get some fishing in on one of the mornings. I’ll probably try for some walleyes and sauger, and I’ll report how I did. Thanks for any info.

jeffleek
    preston, mn.

Have not been out since last Thursday so really can’t tell you how the bite is, but who really cares!!! It’s nice to catch fish now and than, but just being out there on the streams, OOOOOOH Man how fun!!! The river looks great! I am not sure what the weather is going to be like on Sat. and Sunday. It is suppose to get rainy and cold! Acyually I am hoping to sneak away this evening for a little while. I had planed on going to Redwing but that sounds bad too.
    I am still kinda wondering who you are? If your family is farther down river than Whalen I may not know you or the family. If you make it out this weekend have fun and I’m sure you’ll catch something. JLK

bassthumb
    Madison, WI

Ended up fishing early Sat. morning for a couple hours between Whalan and Peterson. Caught 2 walleyes, a nice 17″sauger, a smallmouth, and 3 browns from 15″ to 17″. Caught fish on a couple of different jig and plastic combos and on a small yozuri crankbait. Also had a walleye on that went about 4 lbs, but it popped off next to shore. On Sun., only went out for an hour, and had three nice bites. Missed two of them and caught a smallmouth. Was a little cold in the mornings, but all in all was nice to be on the river again. Seems that the walleyes and sauger are in any deeper water that they can find. Also, it seems that no matter what I’m fishing with, I end up hooking into a few browns unintentionally. Good luck to everyone, and keep me posted on how the bite on the river is going.

alphamale
    rochester mn

Anyone been out lately. I here they are still catching them in the deep pools on crank baits. This was a few weeks ago though.

jeffleek
    preston, mn.

I really feel BAD that I can not give you a good answer! I just haven’t taken the time to go fishing. I still will be going—–SOON! I’ll let ya know how the action is. If you should get down please post your results. JLK

jeffleek
    preston, mn.

OK ! Finally got out, but, I really didn’t catch anything. I did have some nice trout “follows”. I had ahold of one nice fish which I am going to say was either a sauger or a walleye by the way it just kinda “layed” there and tugged. I had a small 1/8 oz. jig on with half a ringie on and switched to a large grub without switching jigs. Kinda dumb, but I was cold, the wind was blowing, my fingers were…………………….I didn’t get it!!! The Root looks great now! I’m sure I’ll try again. JLK

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.