North Central Iowa?

• Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Any of y’all Iowans out there have any secret spots in North Central? My daughter gets to go on a week’s vacation in Northern MN with her grandparents and I have to meet them somewhere to exchange kids for dogs and what-not. I tried to convince them that they should just take me instead, but it was a no-go. You know how grandparents can be.

I figured since I was driving up that way, I would take a day off and make it a fishing trip. I need somewhere between CR and Austin, the closer to 1/2 way the better. I thought about Clear Lake, but that’s kind of far. Anyone ever fish Nashua? Is it worthwhile? I suppose I could go to Independence and then run meet them in the afternoon. What’s hot up that way right now?

Niteeye
    Nashua,Iowa

Gianni
    I live in Nashua and fish below the dam quite a bit. The lake has some catfish and lm but they lowered it to a creek 2 years ago to fix the dam and the numbers aren’t there. I like to wade below the dam, under the highway bridge and throw cranks until I lose my limit of lures and then throw twisters. There is a good mix of walleyes,smallmouth and lm. The majority of the walleyes are 10-12″ but usually find a few 16-18″. My biggest out of there is just over five lbs and I had two around 3lbs last week. Hope this helps. If your heading up send me a pm and I’ll be glad to show you if I’m not going to get my daughter. Later

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Thanks, bud. They did the same thing to Sweet Marsh last year – the river through there was just a trickle when we showed up to ice fish it. I think it will be Thursday that we’re going. We’ll see how it looks, might try Volga Lake – never been there in the summer either.

jonb
    Fayette, Iowa

Volga is best during early and late in the day during the summer, at least that is what I have found. It is the dead sea during the rest of the day, was there Sunday evening and caught a few bass along the dam from 7:30 pm on. Don’t know if you have a boat or not, but the Cedar between Austin and Floyd is usually good in the summer, I heard they had a fair amount of rain, so don’t know what level it is at now. Any of the rivers should be good assuming the levels and clarity are decent.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

We fished the Wapsi North of the ‘new’ dam at Independence, then headed up to Volga Lake after lunch. Fishing was dead. Good thing it was a nice day.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.