Tons of People

• lars
    Rochester, MN

Does anyone have any spots to fish where they have not been seeing a lot of tubers and/or canoers? If so, it would be appreciated to know in what general area it is, if direct spots do not want to be given out then just give simple directions to the stream or river. There have been so many out that it gets very discouraging, at least until someone offers a brew!

Any Info would be appreciated———–Lars

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

What area are you interested in?

lars
    Rochester, MN

Pretty much anywhere in SE MN. I would prefer bigger streams where there is a good chance for bigger fish, because I have a couple of spots for pleasure fishing, where I could catch a ton of fish but nothing over 10-12 inches.

Lars

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Can’t help you in that area. Sorry

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

i am a regular down at whitewater and i have also noticed quite a few tubbers lately. the thing about whitewater is that it is so big and there are so many places to fish that if you don’t mind to walk away from the roads a little way you can get away from the people.

when it gets really busy down there i like to hit up the south branch back by the fish hachery. there is an old bridge back there that is closed and i go up stream from there. there might be a few fisherman but the fishing is always steady and you no they through some big ones in there from the hachery.

lars
    Rochester, MN

Yep, I know the spot, but I usually stop fishing whitewater after june because of the high veggetation. The main branch is the usual strectch for me usually along where the DNR house is. I haven’t fished that stretch where you are telling about in quite a while, so will knee-high’s work or are hip or chest waders the necessity? The hot lure down there for me is usually a 1/16 black rootie tail, what is the most productive on that stretch? I have some buddies that live in Elba but our time tables are different so any info would be nice from an good outside source.

Thanks,

Lars

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

good call on the weeds, it is absolutly packed with neddles and parsnip this time of year. there aren’t very many trails along the banks so i usually walk in the water and cast up. some strechs get pretty deep and would go right over hip boots. on hot days instead of using my waders i just pop on my swim truncks and a old pair of shoes (never were sanddels, the rocks on this strech can be killer on the toe’s).

as far as spinners go i normally have a lot of strikes on a gold and red meps, the smaller the better. a also like to use tiny rapalas, but they are so expensive and i hate losing them so much that i hardly ever fish with them.

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

Lars,
    On the South Branch of the Root, most canoes and tubers put in at or below Preston or Lanesboro. If you try walking in at the very west end of Preston (upstream end) and continue upstream you should be able to get away from most of the traffic. I haven’t tried that part of the river yet but it usualy holds a few good trout. Theres a deep stretch at the mouth of Willow creek that you will need to get on shore to get around.
    Good hunting.
    John

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.