Cannon River Chain Report

• bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Date Location Water Temp Stage Flow Technique
    6/30/2002 Cannon River 79 trolling crankbaits
    My 10 year old grandaughter Brianna and I spent her birthday [Sunday] fishing Cannon Lake on the Cannon River Chain. We trolled 3-ways with a floater and spinners on the rock bars, humps, points and flats without a single walleye. Even trolling crankbaits didn’t produce an Eye. Cannon does have a reputation of being a tough body of water to catch walleyes on once the water warms up and someone forgot to invite them to play catch and release with us.

We then decided to go to plan 2. Since most of the lake was windy and rough we went to the bay that was protected from the wind and troll crankbaits as Brianna wanted some fish. The stippers and sheephead did answer the dinner bell. And of course she was ahead on the fish catching count and made sure I knew that. I did manage to catch the biggest one but she still stayed ahead of on the count.

When the fish you are after don’t respond to your offerings it may be time to switch to a different species like we did. A tough day turned into a great fun day on the water.

When you are looking for bait and maybe some crankbaits be sure to stop in at Fairbault Bait and Tackle and meet Brett the new owner. Lyle will still be around some as he will still be doing the reel repair when hes not out fishing. [the rough life hey]. See you on the water. Bill

Email Bill Cadwell – [email protected]

markvan
    Owatonna

Sunday was a tough day on the water. I fished upstream on Tetonka. Very few bites. Only a couple of cigar Eyes. I switched to trolling for Northern and started nailing the Stripers. They saved the day!!

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

A buddy and I took my canoe down the Cannon River from Cannon Falls to Welch yesterday, looking for some smallies. Used Mepps Spinners in sizes 1, 2, and 3 exclusively. Caught lots of smallies, walleye, sauger, and even one white bass. Two best colors were white with a silver blade and chartruese. Lots of tubers out there. Good luck!

Mark

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.