Cedar River/Shell Rock River

• Ashford

I was woundering if anyone was having luck on these rivers. I have been catching a lot of little small mouth and northern. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on locating some bigger fish.

eyetracker
    waterloo Ia

Ashford, even with the rising waters We’ve still been boating the bronzies south of waterloo. Mostly along the rip-rap, but some out of the limestone banks. Drifting slips with minnies and casting rebel crawdads is the ticket. As for the northers???? Where are they??? caught one dandy this year and a few hammer handles but thats it. Im not too familiar with the shellrock but I hear its a walleye and pike haven if you know where to go! Stay cool!

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

Fished the Shell Rock, near the town of Shell Rock, the morning of July 4th. Final tally for the morning was 4 smallies, 2 LMB, 2 crappies, 2 catfish and 1 carp. Also had one decent pike on but lost it at the boat. Quite a diverse day, especially the catfish which came on a tube jig. The carp ate a firecracker colored tube as well. Maybe it was the spirit of the day!

Water clarity was about a foot. As was the case last year there seems to be clouds of muddy water rolling downstream. With the recent lack of rain I would have thought the water would have been cleaner.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

I guess the Shell Rock can be good, but I have had some fantastic smallmouth fishing on the Cedar south of the dam at Waverly. Not all big ones, but some were and lots of action. Caught some northerns and walleye too. Used waders and fished with small spinners and small jigs with twisters.

JimL2
    Rochester, Mn

If anyone is interested (even though I know this is a small stream forum) try fishing over near big marsh for some excellent smallmouth and largemouth fishing. All last summer I hit the three canals coming out of Big Marsh on the east side and came across some hot smallmouth and largemouth action. I was using anything from a bobber and worm setup to a #13 floating rap. There was also some 5lb plus largemouth pulled from this area also along with some very nice pike. The key to this area is to fish it when the water is realy high. I am not sure which river runs to the east but when that river floods it forces water all the way back to the marsh and the fish follow it back to the marsh. And when the water subsides the fish leave. Some however do get trapped up near the marsh. I just thougt I would share this information as Big Marsh is only about a 20 min drive from Shell-Rock.
    JIm L

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

Thanks Jim. That is the West Fork of the Cedar River that flows thru there. Have duck hunted the area and looked at the water thinking that there could be some bass caught under the right conditions. Your report confirms that.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.