Ice on the Cedar

• eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

I drove down to the river today to take a look. To my surprise it was pretty well iced over. This was at Riverside Park in W’loo, if the cold stays it won’t be long before we’re drilling holes and sitting on buckets.

Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

Do you go to spots on the Cedar to Ice Fish? Haven’t been that adventuresome. Normally stick to Lakes and Ponds.

walleye24
    NewHartford IA

I like to fish Alice Wyth. Its always produced pretty good for me.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Maybe one back water spot , but no not on the Cedar I’m not that brave. Just can’t fish my holes, so have to head for the ponds in the meantime. I have ice fished below the Coralville dam a couple times where that big eddie was formed from the 1993 floods. What was we thinking ? The bigger eyes did like a small teardrop w/ two waxworms though. Want to get back there sometime and hit it in the boat .

A. Wyth is pretty good for around here, caught tons of small to mid size gills there last year but I usually fish Casey lake or sand pits.

Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

Cool, Wow it must have be a few years back when the ice was thick enough below the Res in IOT. Last year I fished that spot in February in open water. Even if it was iced up well it still would have made me nervous. Interesting that the big eyes wanted waxies. I would have put a Buckshot rattle spoon with a minnow down the hole. I have always wanted to try that pond adjacent to the Spillway below the Res. I know it has a ton of crap fish in it but I also know they pull out some nice Crappie in the spring. Pretty much anything in the river would be in there including eyes I would guess. Thanks for the post.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Ya it was few years back, there was a good 4″ of ice on it but still made me nervous, I laid off the heavy dounuts if you know what I mean. There were a handful of guys out there and 2 w/ me. Everyone was using spoons or jigs and minnows and were catching alot of 6-10″ fish but none big, so I tried something different and pulled up some pretty big eyes. Strange enough they were the only ones of any size we seen caught. It was almost like they yawned infront of my jig .
    Never heard anything about that small pond, I’m sure they would be in there though.How did you do last year? I never got down there.

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

where is alis wyth….

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

It’s in George Wyth St. Park, Waterloo/Cedar Falls. Alice Wyth is a 60 acre lake in the back of the park.

eyetracker
    waterloo Ia

FISHED SNAG CREEK TUES. 12/21 BELOW THE FLUM. CAUGHT SEVERAL CRAPPIES, HOWEVER NONE TO BRAG ABOUT. MOVED TO BIG WOODS FOR A HOPEFULL MEAL WITH LIMITED RESULTS. CRAPPIES IN THAT LAKE MUST NOT GET BIGGER THAN 7”.

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

just wondering what is the flum?

eyetracker
    waterloo Ia

JASON, WE ALWAYS CALLED THE COLVERT BEHIND BENTONS THE FLUME.SINCE WE WERE KIDS WE HEARD AN OLDTIMER CALL IT THAT SO EVER SINCE ITS BEEN THE ”FLUME”. DO YOU FISH THIS AREA?

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

I thoughts thats where u were talking about. I have walked down there casting for northern in the fall before, and catch a few crappies and bluegils in the area during open water but have never ice fished it. I live just north of cedar falls so i go down to the creek offen to cast for northern

eyetracker
    waterloo Ia

MY BIGGEST SLIMER BACK THERE WAS 9 # 10 YEARS AGO HE FELL TO A #3 MEPPS. NOT BAD FOR LOCAL FISH. I TOO LIVE NORTH OF TOWN NEAR DENVER. WENT BACK TO THE FLUME SUN. MORN FROM 5 AM TO 8 AM, MORE OF THE SAME ALL SMALL, SO WE HEADED TO BRUSHY CREEK

canoli
    Waterloo, IA

Quote:

It’s in George Wyth St. Park, Waterloo/Cedar Falls. Alice Wyth is a 60 acre lake in the back of the park.

Just as a follow-up to this- you can get there by following the driving road all the way to the very end of the park. The lake is on the northwest end. There is a ramp, a fishing jetty (put there in the last few years) and a little dock there. I have never gotten more than a few small crappies out of there and there are hellacious bugs too. But I have heard of others getting decent fish out of Alice Wyth. The water in that lake seems a lot dirtier than the big lake, too.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Welcome Aboard.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.