Steel penny

• nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Just found a 1943 steel penny, one sold at auction for $1mill recently.

Skeeter boat center here I come woot

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Steel pennies are not rare. You can buy them by the roll on ebay.

The one you mention was one of these:

Story was dated Sept 2012:

A 1943 Lincoln penny that soared in value because it was made from the “wrong” material reportedly has sold for $1 million.

The penny was erroneously made of bronze instead of zinc-coated steel at the San Francisco Mint, according to UPI news agency. Texas Rangers co-chairman Bob R. Simpson bought the coin from Legend Numismatics, a rare coin dealer in Lincroft, N.J.

Professional Coin Grading Service, an organization that evaluates and grades rare coins, certified the penny in question, grading it a 62 on a scale of 1 to 70.

“The Simpson collection now contains the finest known bronze cent from each mint, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Denver, including the unique 1943-D bronze cent that PCGS certified after Legend acquired and sold to him for a record $1.7 million in 2010,” Willis said.

The U.S. Mint switched from bronze planchets to zinc-coated steel for cents in 1943 because copper was needed during World War II.

“By error, some bronze planchets made it into the hoppers at all three Mints, were struck and released into circulation. These have become the most famous and valuable of all off-metal errors,” PCGS said in a release.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I believe the rule is “no pic its not real” rotflol

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Kind of saw that Jon, hoping a segway into others finding cool crap would sprout.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I thought I was going to retire at 8 years old when I found my first steel penny…. then…not.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I got one of the rare ones with wheat on it…. waytogo

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Save it G! That’s going to be worth something someday!!

Mike Stephens
    WI.

When I was 12 I mowed alotta yards and my great granddads. After I got done one day at granddads He payed me with a silver dollar. I thought to myself well that sucks what a cheap SOB. Turns out that it is a 1876 morgan silver dollar. Don’t know the value really and really don’t care, but it’s still with me. It took quite a few years before I realized that he gave me something that was pretty damn special to him. Most of my lawn mowing money went to Army surplus store buying fishing tackle but not that dollar.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>

Save it G! That’s going to be worth something someday!!

It’s worth a penny right now.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Well, did the magnet thing to see if it was a rare copper and she stuck, so had to empty the Cabela’s cart online totaled to $5grand, cancelled the new Skeeter, and told the boss I was sorry for telling him to suck it earlier and I’ll be ready for work tomorrow.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I have silver dollars from the 1800’s that I thought were worth something. Turns out they are worth the value of the silver. coffee

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

1898 newspaper as shims in old farmhouse. Looks to be swedish.

Historical society should offer a cool quarter million for it, back to new boat shopping woot

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20180427_104108210.jpg

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

When I was a kid I found an 1871 three cent piece. I have no idea what it’s worth, three cents I suppose.

S.R.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Found a Honus Wagner card in my attic, looked weathered so threw it away.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Steve, I’ll give you a $10 spot and a can of Spam.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Well, did the magnet thing to see if it was a rare copper and she stuck, so had to empty the Cabela’s cart online totaled to $5grand, cancelled the new Skeeter, and told the boss I was sorry for telling him to suck it earlier and I’ll be ready for work tomorrow.

Now that is funny…

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

When I was a kid I found an 1871 three cent piece. I have no idea what it’s worth, three cents I suppose.

S.R.

Steve, I’ll give you a $10 spot and a can of Spam.

Steve that must be worth a lot. BK giving up Spam for it? It’s got to be valuable. whistling

robby
    Quad Cities

Spam is not valuable unless you account for your savings in toilet paper and Milk of Magnesia.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Scrap prices are up

Xbomber8X
    Sartell, MN

Literally laughed out loud!! At telling your boss to suck it

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

A buddy of mine who used to fish a lot ,no longer fishes at all is big time in coin collecting bought a “lot” of coins from a student in Hawaii . Turns out within the lot there was a die cracked error coin. The silver dollar sold for over ten grand !

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

That Spam offer sure sounds tempting, but I think I’ll pass. That 3 cent piece has become something of a family heirloom. I actually found it tearing apart an old Juke Box.

Now what I’d really like to find is an old Leonard Split Bamboo fly rod.

S.R.

catmando
    wis

I have about 3 gallons of those copper beauty’s,going on a treasure hunt today!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.