State Fair

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If I want to do some serious people watching.. we will go to the Renaissance Festival. doah

Oh the Renaissance Festival or ” Festival of the Freaks and Geeks ” as we call it. The place where anyone who doesn’t seem to fit in anyplace else fits in just great. Not saying either of those two things in a bad way as I love and attend the Renaissance Festival often. My wife worked out there for many years helping out a friend who ran a Mead booth. Often would get out there several times a year.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Totdog at LuLu’s was one of the best food items i’ve ever had at the Fair! Something like that you’ll never find in a restaurant, that’s one of the joy’s of the Fair imo….

stout93
    Becker MN

Totdog at LuLu’s was one of the best food items i’ve ever had at the Fair! Something like that you’ll never find in a restaurant, that’s one of the joy’s of the Fair imo….

I had the southern chix biscuit at LuLu’s. Best fair food I’ve had.

As far as people watching goes. Everything goes. If you like the Walmart type or if you like looking at all the gorgeous women. They’re all there.

CaptainMusky

Just googled Tot-dog and those look fantastic! Can you imagine if someone came out with the true “Dome Dog” and had it at the fair how many they’d sell?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

…looks like the state fair fell even further down my “never go to” list with some shots fired, fights, and some lingering pepper spray mixed in. If the fair board announced it was done forever, would anyone truly care?

Deuces

If it’s on your never to go list why would ya give a rats a$$ what happens to it?

260k people yesterday didn’t seem to give a rats a$$ since trouble has been there before.

Quarter billion into the economy, put that into your corn pipe and smoke it, they’ll figure it out one way or another.

Don’t mean to sound harsh but good grief the sky isn’t falling here.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20220904-193511.png

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If it’s on your never to go list why would ya give a rats a$$ what happens to it?

260k people yesterday didn’t seem to give a rats a$$ since trouble has been there before.

Quarter billion into the economy, put that into your corn pipe and smoke it, they’ll figure it out one way or another.

I thought it was pretty clear by my statement/question that I don’t care what happens to it? I merely asked as an informal question to gauge others’ reactions or thoughts about the fair and its future especially after the most recent events. Reading comprehension isn’t for everyone though, which you’ve made clear.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Since I’m pretty sure the Fair Grounds are tax exempt where does all the money go? Ticket sales and vendor fee’s would make for a pretty good pile of dough.

blackbay
    mn

Since I’m pretty sure the Fair Grounds are tax exempt where does all the money go? Ticket sales and vendor fee’s would make for a pretty good pile of dough.

It goes into the Fair’s pocket and the vendor’s pockets. Years ago a friend of mine was talking about how he was hanging out with friends of his that ran the giant slide. He said they have two slides, one here and one in California. After everything is said and done they cleared over 100K between the two fairs. That was their take home $$$$ for basically 30-40 days of work per year. Not a bad gig. In short that 1/4 billion goes into very few pockets. Oh and it’s mostly cash.

catmando
    wis

B and I went thursday, she had the pronto, walked around, and saw everything, be damned if I’ll pay 8 to 10 bucks for a Weiner on a stick. Took her to the Olive Garden and had a great meal, nice day!

Brad Dimond

Culled from vartious sources (seemingly reputable):

The Minnesota State Agricultural Society is responsible for the production of the annual State Fair and the year-round operations and maintenance of the 322-acre State Fairgrounds and does not receive state government funding.

The Minnesota State Fair Foundation (affiliated with the MN State Ag Society) finances the annual production of the fair and is responsible for all capital work and maintenance of the fairgrounds, classified as state property.

State Fair vendors with structures that stay up year-round at the fair lease the land that their buildings sit on from the fair. Staff makes decisions about leases. Vendors pay real estate taxes to Ramsey County based on the value of the structure, plus pay sales tax on what they sell.

The State Fair pays taxes on ticket sales, a big part of its revenue.

Nets out that the land is privately held; the foundation that runs it is tax exempt; MN Ag Society collects the revenue from entry ticket sales; vendors lease space from the MN Ag Society; vendors keep revenue resulting from their sales, pay expenses for their operation. For example, the French Fries stands buy potatoes by the truckload, purchase ketchup, salt, vinegar and other consumables from local wholesales and also pay their staff. Delta between their revenue and expenses equals profit.

Jimmy Jones

This sums it up pretty well.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thanks Brad. I heard first hand from a food operator that all goods such as soda cups, paper trays to hold french fries, ect must be bought from the fairgrounds people. Seems they rent some places on commission and people were skimming so they weren’t getting a accurate cut so they rolled out this plan. That state fair is big business, big dollars. He also indicated he needed to be onsite the whole time or the hired help would rob him blind since it is a cash business. Those people work hard those 10 days but it’s well worth it to them.

I’m sure there is a per head amount somewhere that people average.

RT
    Twin Cities

B and I went thursday, she had the pronto, walked around, and saw everything, be damned if I’ll pay 8 to 10 bucks for a Weiner on a stick. Took her to the Olive Garden and had a great meal, nice day!

Olive Garden and “great meal” in the same sentence is the funniest thing I’ve read in a while.

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.