Starting battery

• Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

I’m sure this topic has been beat to death but….

Looking for recommendations on a new starting battery (150 opti). Will also be used to run electronics (10 and 7 graph) and boat accessories. TIA!

Not looking to splurge for an optima.

DOC24

Id like to know the answer to this too. I have a 150 optimax as well and it seems everything I researched the battery needs to have at least 800 cold cranking amps. I want to get a deep cycle battery to run my all my accessories instead of a starting battery. Not sure if I could fit a Group 31 AGM in my compartment though to get enough CCA.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I power a 70hp and a 10 & 12″ graph with:

TWO group 31’s, deep cycle interstates.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Almost all starting batteries up to and larger than 150 HP use a 24 battery. I run my electronics and 4 downriggers off my starting battery and use a 27 wet cell.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I have a 150 optimax as well and it seems everything I researched the battery needs to have at least 800 cold cranking amps.

That seems high that a 150 would need 800 cca. Not saying you’re wrong just that I”m surprised as that’s a lot more compared to Yamaha. ex. 115hp 380 cca and 150 512cca. It’s even more than my 350 small block in our family boat, 750cca.

First choice is what kind of battery. It needs both the cca and reserves to run electronics, livewells. What do you have room for is the second? Starting vs dual-purpose vs pure deep cycle.

Assuming it’s truly 800cca, that points to a starting battery. ex. Interstate group 27m-xhd. The size 24 has the same cca but you’ll want more reserve for accessories.

Dual purpose batteries – to get that level of cca it will need to be a group 31. Cabela’s/BP AGMS don’t have enough. Interstate 31M-AGM does and would be an excellent choice. Way better reserve than a starting battery and enough cca to start.

fwiw I have a yamaha 115hp. When I started getting bigger than 5″ graphs, I also went from a 24 starting battery to a 27 dual purpose agm. Really like this so far. I don’t have room for a 31 or duals.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I run a dual purpose 24 for my starting battery and it has two graphs running off it also. I was only using Interstate before this year and now have a Napa Legend. I have an Optimax 115.

bigstick56
    Lester Prairie, MN

I have a 250 Yamaha SHO, and I run a Helix 12 and 10, livelwell pumps, radio and everythign else. I currently have a Group 31 Durecell AGM as my starting battery with everything hooked up to that as well. I do alot of casting, and sometime well go 3-5 hours of using the TM and not starting the big motor, and have never had any kind of issue with starting up the SHO. I would highly recommend this set up.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.