Stand location advice

• Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I know we are still a ways out from deer season but a guy can dream right? I have been reading a lot on where you should place stands based on wind and have seen a lot of different opinions. This snip below shows a pretty heavily traveled swamp with a point that comes out into it and an island to the North East. My question is where would you guys hang stands? The yellow arrow shows pre dominate wind direction so im assuming these stand sites (Little red dots) based on that North West wind. Am I way off? Would you be more inclined to setup on the less traveled trails? any other tips would be much appreciated as well!

Attachments:
    1. Stand-location.jpg

sktrwx2200

Looks pretty good.. I love those fall/winter satellite images.. basically tells you right where to start. Find the biggest funnel and set up to shoot the trail where they all meet up. Obviously they are traveling alot between those 2 islands of timber.
    I would set one for a NW.. the one that you think will be best. First 12 days of Nov. those trials will be fire.
    And also set one for a SOUTH.. the first south wind after a bunch of Norths has always been good for me for deer movement.

At least then you have options instead of Oh I cant hunt today, wrong wind.

Pay attention to how you would access those stands. Since im guessing the swap is most likely bedding.. I would think that evening hunts would be about all I would try.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

That would be my advise also, pay more attention to how you are going to access those stand than the location itself. You could have the best spot in the country, but if you blow them out getting there it ain’t worth crap. I would get in there this summer and find out where exactly the bedding is and make access routes you can follow in the dark.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

For the access routes im pretty much limited from entering starting from the south. Im guessing the island would be pretty tough to get to without bumping deer unless i take it super wide. For a south wind im thinking the only one that would set up well would be the north side of that island. I should have also mentioned there are ag fields just to the south of that point so the movement should hopefully be there in the fall before harvest. I really like how swamps show deer trails pretty easily.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

You’ll have to do your scouting to find out where the bedding areas are. My experience with bogs has been that the deer bed on the islands or on the leeward or sun-facing edges, depending on wind and weather.

Since the movement trails are clear, I’d say finding out where they bed is the biggest factor so you don’t spook all the deer when you’re still a quarter-mile off and spend the day wondering where all the deer are.

The area looks pretty remote, so I’d think you could put out trail cams without much risk of theft? In that case, get yourself a couple of posts and mounts so you can put cams on the trails to see what’s moving and when. You’ll need to bring your own posts to mount the cameras because I never seem to find a tree in the right spot, I use the steel electric fence posts as they are light enough to carry and easy to pound in.

Grouse

watisituya
    North Metro

The red dot is as far as i made it in the bog scouting last spring. those islands are easy to get to in winter walking on the ice, but nearly impossible open water. Sent you a PM. I hunted your lower left a few times.

Attachments:
    1. Dot.jpg

watisituya
    North Metro

No, pictometry, certain counties have it on their websites… nothing beats it for scouting in my eyes besides boots on the ground obviously.

Justin riegel

I also have hunted that spot in the past, you do have to time right, being that is public.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.