Stainless or cast grill grates

• tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I bought a used weber identical to the one I have to give to my friends lake house. I’m swapping the best components to my daily use grill and I have stainless grates (ones I’m currently using) or cast iron. Wondering if people have prefernces for any reason.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

My preference is for cast iron, I feel they hold the heat and/sear better (not sure if they actually do). With that said, they do need to be replace occasionally. The stainless likely will last longer and is probably easier to clean.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I use cast. No real rhyme or reason.

zooks

Cast iron for me, hands down better to cook on vs stainless, gets way hotter and holds heat longer.

Once they’re seasoned, cast iron will stay fairly non-stick and last forever as long as you clean them with every use – grill brush when they’re hot (I do it after coals are ready, before I cook) and hit it with a rag with a bit of canola oil now and again.

Good luck with what you decide.

Snake ii’s

The “stainless” grates on Weber’s are crap, they disintegrated after a couple years on every Weber I’ve owned. I have enamel coated cast iron on my Pit Boss, so far they are holding up great and I like the larger size of the grating.

munchy
    NULL

Enamel coated cast iron for sure.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

The “stainless” grates on Weber’s are crap, they disintegrated after a couple years on every Weber I’ve owned.

Are we talking gas or charcoal here? I have never had an issue with the nicer SS ones on my charcoal. These are the ones that the edges flip up so you can add more coals.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I like cast iron because the grates are wider and flatter. I think they are easier to work with and if nothing else, look nicer.

404 ERROR
    MN

I like the cast iron because that’s what came with my Weber…my brothers Weber has the SS and he seems to like them. I’m sure there’s a little difference in heat retention between the two, but not enough for me to care.

Rick Janssen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>muskycliff wrote:</div>
    The “stainless” grates on Weber’s are crap, they disintegrated after a couple years on every Weber I’ve owned.

Are we talking gas or charcoal here? I have never had an issue with the nicer SS ones on my charcoal. These are the ones that the edges flip up so you can add more coals.

I also use TWO Weber charcoal grills (one little Smoky Joe for most stuff and the bigger one for turkeys etc) and have never had an issue with the grills. My little one sits outside 365 days per year. The bottom did rust out after 28 YEARS!! so I got another and it is now 13 years old and doing well. The big grill is over 35 years old and I have never had any issues on the grills either.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

The “stainless” grates on Weber’s are crap, they disintegrated after a couple years on every Weber I’ve owned. I have enamel coated cast iron on my Pit Boss, so far they are holding up great and I like the larger size of the grating.

I must have a different set, because the SS grates I picked up for my genesis a few years ago are amazing. Super thick gauge SS, definitely not going to fall apart.

I prefer SS because they are just wayyyy easier to clean, at least in my opinion.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ve seen he Weber stainless steel grates work very very well.

With that said, I have cast iron myself and absolutely love them. Easy to clean and the most non-stick of any grill I’ve ever owned. Flattened/marinated chicken comes off very well. I grill coho salmon on them and they have never fallen apart even once.

Attachments:
    1. DFFCDEC8-2E51-4FB8-8C60-706C5829D6AA.jpeg

2. 753DC3FE-F8CF-4126-9C49-7CD8349DACC3.jpeg

3. E1356849-14E4-4B03-B59C-89A7FB5D0B6F.jpeg

Snake ii’s

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>muskycliff wrote:</div>

Charcoal only – I do not use gas, never owned a gas grill. peace

I use my grill or smoker ~75 times/year and I do scrape/wire brush the grates before I place anything on them.

In all fairness, the Weber’s I’ve owned are the el-cheapo ones from the 80’s and 90’s. I haven’t bought or used any manufactured in this century.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Charcoal only – I do not use gas, never owned a gas grill.

I use my grill or smoker ~75 times/year and I do scrape/wire brush the grates before I place anything on them.

Good man!

I use mine a ton, too. That said, we have a cheaper Weber kettle at our cabin, and the grates on that thing are junk. The one I have on mine at home is much sturdier. I bought this one in 2008, and I’m still on the original grate.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

all the cool kids use cast iron. I’m strictly charcoal also and use a weber kettle. Ive been using the stainless steel grates that come with the grill so far and its fine. I’m slowly building up my accessory collection and when the time comes for me to fork over the money ill probably get some cast iron grates. I just have so many other accessories to get first. With a weber you have so many options toast

Go Spuds

I agree–I have and use both. I do like SS on the charcoal and cast iron on gas–both will do a great job if you take care of them-

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Thats my baby

Attachments:
    1. 1556927558568583099482602350152.jpg

Deleted

I use the copper grill mat from menards on the new gas grill and LOVE it ! I thing it’s stainless but no grease, food , etc ever touches the grated and cleanup is easy. No burnt food on the gas grill either.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Charcoal only – I do not use gas, never owned a gas grill. peace

In all fairness, the Weber’s I’ve owned are the el-cheapo ones from the 80’s and 90’s. I haven’t bought or used any manufactured in this century.
    [/quote]

Luckily enough for me, the wife wanted…wait for it…a new Weber for Mother’s Day! She grew up with charcoal grilling, and decided we needed to replace our gas grill at home. I’ve been gearing up to do some kick-@$$ meals on that sucker this summer!

Kyhl
    Savage

Hmmm, question two.

On Cast iron, flat side up or down? The grates are triangle shaped.
    From the picture above they are flat side down. I’ve been using them flat side up. According to Webber, they are designed to work with the flat side up.

It occurs to me that the flat side down would make better grill marks (thinner) on the meat.

Edit, I use stainless on the kettle and cast iron on the gas.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I don’t see any reason why either wouldn’t work. If you look close at my grates, the vertical bars rise above the horizontal support bars. That tells me they meant to be flat side down because the grill marks will not be interrupted if you put food on that spot.

I’d bet food will release better from the rounded side.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

These are gas grills. The stainless set was probably added by the previous owner and has worked fine for me. My only thought was that the cast might cook differently (or better).

Kyhl
    Savage

These are gas grills. The stainless set was probably added by the previous owner and has worked fine for me. My only thought was that the cast might cook differently (or better).

They could be the originals. Webber makes gas grills with stainless grates. The Genesis line (middle line) is available with either stainless or iron. I think the Spirit comes with iron. The Summit line comes with SS.

munchy
    NULL

Hmmm, question two.

On Cast iron, flat side up or down? The grates are triangle shaped.
    From the picture above they are flat side down. I’ve been using them flat side up. According to Webber, they are designed to work with the flat side up.

It occurs to me that the flat side down would make better grill marks (thinner) on the meat.

Edit, I use stainless on the kettle and cast iron on the gas.

When I had the cast grates I used them flat side up and never had an issue. They were very easy to clean as well, just a light scraping and brushing was all that was needed. It also supported the food better, things like burgers would occasionally sink down into the thinner grates and when you go to flip them a good portion of the meat would be cut off and left between the grates.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Cast iron. Same reason people prefer cast iron skillets. Gets hotter, holds the temps steadier, and sears meat far better.

Kyhl
    Savage

When I had the cast grates I used them flat side up and never had an issue. They were very easy to clean as well, just a light scraping and brushing was all that was needed. It also supported the food better, things like burgers would occasionally sink down into the thinner grates and when you go to flip them a good portion of the meat would be cut off and left between the grates.

It might come down to what you are cooking. I might try flipping the grates to do steaks or chicken versus burgers flat side up. Just to see how it works.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.