st Croix or Fenwick? Other?

NULL

I broke my refurbished st Croix so I figured its time for an upgrade. Looking for something medium power with a fast or extra fast action tip. I would be using this rod as a multipurpose multi species. Pitching light jigs to 1/16 oz but also heavy jigs to 1oz in the rivers, slip bobbering, live bait rigging, casting/ trolling cranks, are all things I would be looking to use it for. Ive been looking around at some st. Croix eyecons and avids and Fenwick’s elite tech series. Might be interested in tuned up custom rods if the price is right. I’m not looking to spend over $250. Just wondering if I could get any suggestions on what you guys think.

Ty Kennedy

The St. Croix Legend Tourney Walleyes come in right at that price range and while they are a touch bit top heavy, the Riggin model at 7 foot is perfect for what you’re describing.

pale ryder
    NULL

13 Fishing Omen black. $100 each. Get the 6’7″ mlxf for light jigs and the 7’1″ mf for everything else.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I always recommend going to the store and feeling them out for yourself. Price range up to $250 you are going to have about 90% of rods available.

Longer rod around 610-72 would be nice for floats and rigging, helping chuck those lighter jigs out farther, as well as cranks.

Stick with fast tip to keep that flex for casting and forgiveness on rigging. Personally love xfast tips but not for everything your describing.

The more expensive rods with their graphite composition seem to be stiffer to me, so might be best of both worlds for ya.

I’d gather 4-5 rods you really like, handle each one give it a couple whips, then choose. Might be surprised its not always the more expensive one.

mh454
    ND

Is there a Scheels store in your area? All the rods I have purchased for the last few years have been Scheels brand. I think they make a pretty good rod for the price but it’s their warranty that makes them stand out. I had a Scheels rod that had a guide insert come out (found it cracked in half laying in the boat). Brought the rod and they do took a look at it and let me grab a new one to replace it. waytogo

Tonka
    Minnesota

I bought the Fenwick Aetos in a 2 piece 6’6″ M X-Fast, i don’t have much time with it but it’s worth your time putting one in your hands to see if it fits. It’s a super high module graphite rod, which Fenwick has been lacking for a while. They did a good job with it and it looks pretty sweet too. IMO it’s a great rod for the price. They have a bunch of different actions and lengths that I’m sure will match your needs. Good luck.

FryDog62

The Omen Black mentioned above is a very good rod for the $100 price point, and so is the Duckett Ghost. I have many St. Croix’s and Fenwicks too and my favorite all time spinning rod is the Fenwick Elite Tech. The grip is best I have ever used and the blank is awesome. More money at $150-ish but I love the rod. The other 2 rods at $100 would work very well too. All depends on your budget. If you move up to $200, I just picked up the new St. Croix Avid “X.” Wow, is all I can say ~

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

It might only be $90 to fix that broken St. Croix if it’s an Avid. See Gold Star service plan. $75 to fix one, $15 for shipping.

http://stcroixrods.com/service-warranty/service-warranty-policies/

I have both Avids and the Fenwick Elite Tech. Some days I swear one is better, other days it’s the opposite. Avids are ML XF and Fenwick is ML F. The Avids are great for jigging and dragging but in my opinion the Fenwick is a more versatile rod and I use it for many more species and applications even though it’s designed as a walleye jigging rod.

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

I have bought 2 of the new Elite Tech Walleye rods this year. The grip is hands down the best I have ever held and they are very sensitive. I find myself picking these rods up before I pick up my G-loomis. For the price, you can’t beat the Elite Techs.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

The St. Croix Legend Tourney Walleyes come in right at that price range and while they are a touch bit top heavy, the Riggin model at 7 foot is perfect for what you’re describing.

Bingo. waytogo

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

I have bought 2 of the new Elite Tech Walleye rods this year. The grip is hands down the best I have ever held and they are very sensitive. I find myself picking these rods up before I pick up my G-loomis. For the price, you can’t beat the Elite Techs.

Same here. I may actually sell my Legend Extreme.

Dan Moeller
    Cedar Falls Iowa

Is there a Scheels store in your area? All the rods I have purchased for the last few years have been Scheels brand. I think they make a pretty good rod for the price but it’s their warranty that makes them stand out. I had a Scheels rod that had a guide insert come out (found it cracked in half laying in the boat). Brought the rod and they do took a look at it and let me grab a new one to replace it. waytogo

I have a few Scheels one rods and they are made by 13 fishing. By far the best at standing behind their product. If money isnt an issue i would check out Tuned Up Custom Rods, i have a couple that were built exactly the way i wanted them. They are pretty pricey though.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I was looking at an avid last spring and ended up going with an eyecon because the store I bought it at didnt have the right length/power i was looking at.

Wish I would have waited or ordered the avid online.

I dont really care much for the eyecon. Id rather use my Fenwick HMG. I havent tried the elite tech yet but I would bet they would be a nice set up.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I picked up an Eyecon a few weeks back and I thought I would be more impressed with it…maybe cause it’s made in Mexico…

ajaikens31
    Big Rapids, Michigan

If there’s a Scheels in your area, look for the Scheels fishing ad. They do 20% off all Scheels rods, which puts the One rod down to $200 from $250. They are awesome rods with a nice, comfortable handle, sensitive carbon blank, and REC recoil guides.

WarEagle

Get yourself a Scheels rod. They offer lifetime warranties and they do an over the counter exchange on them. They are the best route to go. I use to swear by st. croix, but it was a hassle to exchange broken rods. You are best off with a scheels rod. I love them.

Tonka
    Minnesota

Depending on which model, but on the nicer Fenwicks you get a lifetime warranty just like scheels rods.

ritz9876
    Maple Grove, MN

Just picked up an Avid X today and paired with Shimano Saros. Glad the heat the reviews are good. If you want this Rod go to Thorne Brothers this weekend! 20% of off both! Makes the Avid $160.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.