St.Croix Avid Ultra Light V.S. Panfish UL

• Tim Reszler
    Kenosha

Looking at getting a 7′ panfish rod. Trying to decide between the avid ultralight and the st.croix panfish series ultra light. ($50 difference in the two) Anyone out there have any experience with these two specific rods. I was out the other day and a good sensitive rod was the difference in catching fish and not catching fish.

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

i have wondered the same thing. i have a couple 6’6″ ul avids. I love them. can not go wrong with the avid i can promise that. but i have also wondered how the panfish compares

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I got my dad the 69ul panfish last year, used it a couple times and is phenomenal. Really starting to like the micro guides on many rods, keeps the line close and sensitive, casts just fine, and keeps weight down. Kevin22 has one and he told me its the best panfish rod out and he’s a pannie guy, maybe he will chime in.

Fishhound

I recently purchased the St Croix 7′ Light – medium fast action pan fish rod. Two guys who do a lot of pan fishing told me I’d be happier with that than an Ultra light. I’ve handled about 150 fish with it so far and it’s been a dream. One thing I’m glad with is that I went with the longer rod. It helps mend line in a hurry for hook sets and throwing the real light stuff.

The medium gives me the ability to handle a bass or two during the day. I’d love to try the UL some day.

Tim Reszler
    Kenosha

Fishhound what is the model number of the rod your talking about? The Avid is not made in a 7′ light. Also I am definitely going with a 7′, that I am sure of. Any other guys out here that can vouch for the panfish series? I wish bass pro shops or cabelas had a rod testing pool with a bunch of hungry fish )

Tim Reszler
    Kenosha

Sorry Fishhound. I need to learn how to read. You do state panfish series. Thanks. I will take a look at that.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Most of my crappie /panfish rods I built using the Avid blanks. I have a couple 6′, one 6’6″ and a pair of the 7′, all one piece UL Avid blanks but have owned a few factory rods in the UL Avid before I built these. I love them all. One thing I did in building these rods was to find a section of cut-off rod that fit snuggly over the Avid blank at the handle end and cut it to the exact length that the handle of the finished rod would be and epoxied it in place. The corks needed to be opened up a bit but that’s not a biggie. When finished, these rods weigh little more than the stock blank but beefing up the handle end eliminates any flexing that the stock blank will do. Managing fish is way easier and the sensitivity is not interfered with at all. In the longer rods this really helps in loading the rod for a cast. Fish like a decent bass of a pike or carp have cracked the cork on some of the factory rods I owned because of the flex that the UL blanks have even at the handle.

I bought one of the panfish series rods earlier this spring thinking it might not be a bad rod but I wasn’t crazy over the action. Casting light jigs certainly wasn’t any better than doing so with the Avids. I spool exclusively with clear XL 4 pound on the 6’6″ and 7 foot rods and can cast 1/64 jigs/plastic combos without any trouble. My usual rig on the Avids is 1/32 head weight with a plastic, maybe a Mini-Stealth #2 float. The two 6 foot Avids are spooled with 3 pound Nanofil and are used just for vertical fishing without any floats and carrying 1/32 or 1/16 heads/plastics. When picking fish off vertical submerged wood these rods are stellar and are as responsive as a spring bobber on an ice rod.

I have two Triumph rods in 6’6″, light action. When I want to use a 1/16-3/16 head/plastic combo, these guys get the nod over the Avids because I like the way the Triumphs feel using weights in that range. Both carry Symetres spooled with 4 pound XL clear.

I love my Avids and I really enjoy the Triumphs over that Panfish series rod I bought….and sold.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Tom any thoughts on fishing the 7UL Avid without the handle modification? As in fishing the factory built rod .

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

I have a 7′ ul avid. In my opinion it lacks any back bone, sort of noodles and is not all that sensative. I’ve actually been looking at switching into the panfish series or going with a light extra fast in something. It’s ok for bobbers.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Tom any thoughts on fishing the 7UL Avid without the handle modification? As in fishing the factory built rod .

Don….

What beardly says in his post before this is one reason I chunked up the handle area. This got rid of any floppiness in the handle area. Some rod builders use wood handles and they too take the mush out of lightweight rods. The three or four factory Avids were soft rods in my opinion but certainly fishable. Since I built rods for myself adding the extra sleeve was no biggie and it did a world of good to the rods. That panfish series rod next to an Avid or the Triumph is simply too soft for me.

Ill add to that both of the Triumphs will toss 1/32 heads all day with 4 pound xl so if getting results from lighter than rated jigs is a thing, don’t fret….they’ll perform.

MNSmallieGuy
    Minnesota

I have had Avid 7’UL for years, one of them is 17 years old. I am here to tell you it is by far one of my favorite rods. Last week I landed a 38″ tiger muskie on it. We followed the fish for about 10 minutes keeping him more or less vertical. I had minimal flex in the handle.

The rod tip is soft enough for visual notes yet sensitive enough to feel them too.

I wish I had a Panfish series review for you but I don’t. I only know I will likely never move away from the Avid, except for maybe one of these Ultra lines.

Elliott SJ-66UL+ Spinning Rod

Gregg Thorne has been in the rod business a long time. I am very interested to see what he has developed here. I can tell you that the syncork is a great handle material and I really like his handle styles.

Ryan Scholl

I have a 7′ Light Panfish series. I used it a lot when i first got it. I tend to go to my 6’10” Light 13 Omen Black now (discontinued model). I still use the St Croix. It works well for casting light lures and jigging. If I’m trolling small lures for crappies it doesn’t have enough backbone.

The premium is painful, but the SCV 7′ light xfast has loads more backbone and far faster action than the avid or panfish series. I shopped for a panfish rod for pitching jigs last spring and that’s the best I could find on a shelf. Those Elliott rods look nice.

fishinguns
    Metro D, MI

Between myself, dad, brother, dad’s best friend there are 3 Avid 7′ UL 2pc Mod’s and 2 Legend Elite’s 7′ UL 2pc Mod’s (discontinued now…). We use them far more for Walleye than panfish. They are noodles, we use braid and leader, and an absolute blast to fish with. I personally don’t have a problem with the flex into the cork, as I know when to stop pulling, but these rods will do that if you let them…

I think they are phenomenal panfish and trout rods. They can protect 2lb fluoro if you do your part with the moderate action. That same action let’s me cast micro presentations further than I imagined I could.

For what it’s worth, these rods have caught more finicky walleyes vertical jigged on 1/16 jigs and live bait than I can even begin to estimate. They are very versatile rods that are extremely over looked for a lot of finesse fishing. The 30″er in my Avatar was on my brother’s (my old one I sold him a “few” moons ago) 7′ Avid UL, aggressively jigging an 1/8oz jig and gulp minnow!!

I can’t compare to the new Panfish or Trout Series, but I’m sure those are good too.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

To me it depends on what you want in a rod for me that is the Avid 66 ultra light one peice I enjoy the heck out of catching panfish with this rod a good 12 inch Crappie will about double it over just plain a$$ fun. I have brought in a 40 plus inch Pike on this rod using 6 lb test that was an absolute blast. I do have the Avid 7 ultra light one peice not even close to the same rod as the 66 dont get me wrong it does a great job has way more backbone then the 66 to me just dosent have the fun factor of the 66.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Again loads of thanks for your experience, i live 5 miles from StCroix rod factory . So its no biggy for me to get in there and test a few.They also have a pond out back that i tried out some fly rods on years ago.I have a 9′ panfish rigged for slip float.That being said i was in there the other day looking for the 6′-9″ or the 7 in Panfish. Not a one ,they were sold out. I asked when they would be back in stock JULY was the reply.They are made in Mexico with St Croix specs seems they are very popular at that price point. Im sure i could order them online from Gander or Cabelas,but i like to have it before me to make a decision. I will go in and ckeck the store for the Avids and Triumphs. Thanks again hoping we all have good weather for the opener,good luck to all!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I have the Avid 7 ul. Love it. Never fished the panfish series but did compare them side to side in the store. They seemed about the same to me but I liked the extra 3 inches of the Avid. Casts super light jigs great. Also the Avid warranty is better. My .02.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

The premium is painful, but the SCV 7′ light xfast has loads more backbone and far faster action than the avid or panfish series. I shopped for a panfish rod for pitching jigs last spring and that’s the best4 I could find on a shelf. Those Elliott rods look nice.

I have 4 of the Legend Elite,s. I don,t recall seeing a 7′ in a light Xfast ,was that a current model ?

Don – my bad. I have model lxs70lf, so just fast.

@metroriverrat

I own the panfish series 7ft PFS70LXF spolled with 6lbs nanofil, and this rod has become my go to smallmouth and walleye rod for throwing almost anything under 1/4 oz. Casting distance is superb, and this light rod Can still handle 20″ fish (even reeled In a tail hooked carp in heavy current). Highly recommend this rod.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.