Spring snowgoose

• sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Anyone chase them in the spring? Thinking of heading to south west MN this year to give it a whirl. Any reports out there about the migration?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Tried it once. “Probably” won’t do it again. Those bird are skiddish to say the least. Drove 12 hrs for a 3 day guided hunt. I pulled the trigger 6 times.

If you get into them it can be a blast but those birds have been shot at from north to south and back again so you need a spread and a half…then quadruple that twice.

Good luck and get a bird hitch!

steelslinger71

Sticker there is nothing in the Worthington area yet. The fields just opened up enough in the last two days with all the rain to allow some food for the geese if and when they do come.Still plenty of snow around though. Have not seen any honkers, crows, or anything yet. That could change next week with the warmer weather coming. One thing we do have is plenty and I do mean plenty of sheet water if the snows make it through our area.

sticker

Sticker there is nothing in the Worthington area yet. The fields just opened up enough in the last two days with all the rain to allow some food for the geese if and when they do come.Still plenty of snow around though. Have not seen any honkers, crows, or anything yet. That could change next week with the warmer weather coming. One thing we do have is plenty and I do mean plenty of sheet water if the snows make it through our area.

Thanks for the info.

sticker

Tried it once. “Probably” won’t do it again. Those bird are skiddish to say the least. Drove 12 hrs for a 3 day guided hunt. I pulled the trigger 6 times.

If you get into them it can be a blast but those birds have been shot at from north to south and back again so you need a spread and a half…then quadruple that twice.

Good luck and get a bird hitch!

I have 750 snow dekes and a buddy with 250 more, plus 8 dozen full body Canada’s that I can put a white tube sock on the head to make into blues. Got a bird hitch too, never got to Canada without one waytogo

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Nice! Good luck. I’ll be jealous if you hammer them in MN since we drove 12 hrs for nothing. Lol.

sticker

Nice! Good luck. I’ll be jealous if you hammer them in MN since we drove 12 hrs for nothing. Lol.

That’s exactly why I have never done that. I have heard way to many stories like yours. In fact, the only good report I have heard was when my Dad went to Canada in the spring and got into them real good.

We will see if we can make it happen with 3-4 hours away.

steelslinger71

Honkers and some ducks showed up Saturday morning. Saw four swans yesterday. They are swinging around us to the west through Nebraska and saw a report where there were good numbers around Mitchell S.D. already. That’s pretty normal as it’s always hit and miss in the Worthington area as far as snow and blues coming through. All the snow in the Marshall area doesn’t help either.

sticker

Thanks for the update!!

tornadochaser

SW MN will be getting a big influx of snows and darks today. There are numerous large flocks over Sioux Falls & Brandon SD at dawn.

sticker

SW MN will be getting a big influx of snows and darks today. There are numerous large flocks over Sioux Falls & Brandon SD at dawn.

waytogo Thanks for the update.

Curious, were they heading east, or why would SW MN be seeing them?

sticker

My Bad, I did not realize Sioux falls and Brandon were so close to the SW corner on MN.

steelslinger71

tornadochaser is right on. I saw my first flocks of SOBs this morning and they were moving from the southwest to the northeast. One bunch of a couple hundred and another of thirty or so and some others mixed in with flocks of specks. Robins, redwings, and even a half dozen killdeer. Honkers everywhere. I bet S.D. will be stacked by the weekend.

sticker

unfortunately I was not able to get down there an it doesn’t look like I will. Life is busy. Hope someone gets into them good!!

steelslinger71

You didn’t miss a thing down here sticker. Those couple of bunches were the only ones I saw. Unbelievable amount of specks though. From everything I’ve read they swung around us to the west and went up into S.D. which is pretty normal. Time to find a gobbler.

sticker

You didn’t miss a thing down here sticker. Those couple of bunches were the only ones I saw. Unbelievable amount of specks though. From everything I’ve read they swung around us to the west and went up into S.D. which is pretty normal. Time to find a gobbler.

waytogo waytogo waytogo

tornadochaser

There was impressive numbers of snows in big stone, LQP, swift, & stevens counties monday through yesterday. Very few left now.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.