Spoons for panfish

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I plan to try and fish spoons a little more this ice season for panfish. I have tried it a few times in the past without a lot of success. I’m curious what all of your favorites are. A few that I see in stock at some local stores are: VMC Tingler, VMC flash Champ, Custom jig and spin slender spoon, Kastmaster, and the good old swedish pimple. Alout the only one I used in the past was the Slender spoon. I had decent luck on crappies and sunfish near iceout last year on them. The only thing I didn’t like about them was the hooks are real thin and break easy while removing them from fish.

IceManBran

I’m a big fan of the VMC flash champs for panfish. Tip the treble with a spike or two and it’s game on.

Fowldreams55398

I’ve fell in love with Snyders Lures “lil rascal” and “moon frys”. MN company and nothing comes from over seas. Try to support local!

Bryan Myers

I am a big fan of the VMC Flash Chaps for panfish especially in a little deeper water. If I’m fishing shallower water I really like the Tingler. I will often just tip them with plastic or at times depending on how the fish are reacting I will put on maggots or a strip of beavertail bait.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’ve fell in love with Snyders Lures “lil rascal” and “moon frys”. MN company and nothing comes from over seas. Try to support local!

They have some nice looking baits. I may have to get a order into them

Justin riegel

My favorite spoons for panfish are the Custom Jigs and Spins Demon jigging spoons. I have caught my largest crappies using these.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The 1/16th oz Clam Pinhead Mino in the purple chartreuse color has out fished jigs, spoons, jigging raps and others for panfish over the last two years for me. If I see them in stores I buy them every time. They’ve been that good.

Before them my go to’s were the VMC Tumbler Spoons and the smallest jigging raps.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

my go to spoon for panfish is the Custom Jigs & Spins slender spoon, 1/16oz, but I swap out the treble hook for a Shrimpo jig and plastic

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I’ve had good luck swapping trebles out for a dropper chain

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

A lot of good spoons out there. I’ve found that the aggressive pannies will smoke them. I always start with a small spoon and downsize if I’m getting looks but no takers.

Early and late ice they seem to work best which sounds like you’ve experienced. Get to mid winter and I’m more likely to downsize jigs and not spend as much time with the spoon.

Ty Kennedy

Frostbite Dinner Bells and Kastmasters for me

mojo

I had several really good days last season where the Northland Buck-Shot Flutter Spoon was THE ticket to catching panfish. I put a couple spikes on the treble hook and bounce it on the bottom for a few seconds and a stack of fish would show up in seconds. Jig it above the highest mark while slowly raising it, and it was fish on. The technique of making noise while kicking up a little cloud on the bottom brought them back after they spooked away from a hole that had a few fish already pulled up.
    The previously-mentioned Pinhead Mino, and the Time-Bomb from Clam were excellent for bringing fish in.

stevenoak

I was a long time giving spoons a chance for panfish. But when I finally did. Quality of fish went way up. Best luck with CJS Slender Spoons.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I love Snyders spoons. I have many of them and they are my go to. It all started with one I found on the floor of Rodgers a couple years ago that was the best spoon of the trip.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

1/32 oz. Flash Champ with some spikes is flat money for me on big gills. I got this one yesterday, along with a bunch of other good ones, all on Glow Gold Fish.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20211221_190515433-scaled.jpg

2. PXL_20211221_190510880-scaled.jpg

tim hurley

The chipped paint on the Champ says it all, nice fish James.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I will add the Forage Minnow to the list, has been money for me. I need to pick up some flash champs to try. I never thought to try a perch talker, have a few guess I will give it a shot this year.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.