Spirit Lake/Okoboji Walleye Opener

• up man
    UP MICHIGAN

Well how did everyone do this weekend? I didnt enter the tournament this year because I could only fish on saturday because I had to get back to school to study for finals. We only fished spirit lake and it was the best opener we have ever had. We fished from about 10:00 am to 5 pm and caught our limit of walleyes between 16 and 16.75 inches. We also caught 16 walleyes that were between 19 and 22 inches that had to be released. And we caught about 40 walleyes between 12 and 15 inches that we released.

Most of the fish we caught where on lindy rigs but we did get a few on rapalas also. We caught fish in all depths from 8 to 20 feet. We had our best luck where there was weeds along some rocks and gravel. The active fished seemed to be on top of the weeds close to the rocks and gravel bottoms.

Nothing huge but it was fun to get back out on the lake and catch a bunch of walleyes.

benihana
    Central MN

We to had our best opener yet too, but it was not as good as yours. Between 4 of us on Saturday midnight til 6 am on Big Spirit we caught 29 eyes, one in the slot at 18, three that went right at 14, and the rest were 12-13 inches. I had other commitments saturday so I was done, but my brother and my buddies hit it again Saturday afternoon (4-430) until about 2 am Sunday. They trolled the west shore of Spirit again with leeches on lindy’s behind bottom bouncers and caught 9 3 that were 14 or so rest 12-13 at nightfall they fought the wind for a short time on the north end and caught 3 in the slot on of them being 21+ they got out of the wind and anchored on the west shore and got into them again. They ended the night with 25 total, and took 6 home that were 14-15 and the rest were 11-13.

sirchad
    Northwest Iowa

Didn’t make it up until Sunday night at 8, but had a good night. Found a nice little trolling run on West and caught a 25, 20, and three just under 17. Also had a decent pike mixed in. Fished til midnight. Pretty much had the lake to ourselves.

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

That is an awesome day!

baldwin4
    NE IA

Congrats you guys. Sounds like a good time was had by everyone

hawkeye27

What were the water temps gentlemen?????? Congrats on the great weekend

up man
    UP MICHIGAN

Quote:

What were the water temps gentlemen?????? Congrats on the great weekend

Spirit Lake was between 54 and 56 degrees. I heard West Okoboji was still in the mid 40’s but I’m not sure because we never made it over there.

jake1962
    Osage

Also very good fishing for all of our group. 9 guys, all limits. We kept the eaters, 13 – 16 and had a dandy of a fish fry on Saturday night. I released 2 slot fish – 17 3/4 and 18″, but that is sure fun to do when you are getting hits on every run. Biggest fish on Shiners on bottom bouncer. Wind was tough, but worth it to catch fish.

So is the slot limit working? I say yes!!

shaley
    Milford IA

Water temps today was down to 51-52

up man
    UP MICHIGAN

Yeah the water temp did drop. The bite was a bit tougher today but still did good. Caught a lot of bigger fish today. A lot around 20 inches and one was 23.5 inches.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.