IOWA OPENER–SPIRIT LAKE

• up man
    UP MICHIGAN

How did everyone do this weekend chasing walleyes on spirit and Okoboji? We didnt enter the tournament. I had to be back at school on Sunday to start studying for my final week of college. We did get out on spirit for part of the day.

We started trolling plugs early but that only produced a muskie, a few northerns and a few nice smallmouth. So he went to drifting with bottom bouncer and spinner or just plain hooks. This is how we caught all of our walleyes. We ended up catching 6 walleyes that we kept between 15 and 17 inches. We also caught one at measured 23 inches and one 22 inches that we let go. Also some nice perch. Nothing too fast but the weather was nice. My Brother also hooked into a nice big sandwich. Good thing too cuz we sure got hungary out there!

baldwin4
    NE IA

Looks like a Great day on the water guys Spend the day doing yard work. Thanx for the report.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Nice fish guys! And not a bad sandwich either.

up man
    UP MICHIGAN

Quote:

HOW BIG WAS THAT PERCH?

The perch was a little over 12 inches. We caught a few more that were between 10 and 11.5 too

mkrakau
    Waukee, IA

Some nice fish!

We didn’t do as well in terms of quality. Caught LOTS of fish at night that were anywhere from 8-13″. Frustrating after awhile. Did manage a few keepers, a couple of slot fish and a decent smallie.

How deep were you fishing?

jake1962
    Osage

I also fished on Saturday on Spirit. Eventually went to drifting with crawler and picked up 2 keeper eyes. Both 16 1/2″. It was a pretty good day on the lake, although the wind was pretty brisk and cool. Typical early May fishing. Thanks for the great pictures

up man
    UP MICHIGAN

Quote:

How deep were you fishing?

Well my first thought was that they would be in shallow water in the morning but they werent. We caught all our walleyes between 10 and 18 feet of water. I really wanted to stay and fish after dark but we couldnt. I think the few bigger ones were in the 10 to 12 feet of water over a rock/gravel pile.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.